Platonic traditions

Kabbalah, Sufism, Gnosticism and other forms of mysticism rooted in Christianity, Judaism, Islam
Nicholas

Platonic traditions

Postby Nicholas » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:04 pm

Here is one good source, seeing Platonic thought in many other traditions too.

http://www.platonic-philosophy.org/library_topic.html
Last edited by Nicholas on Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man should not judge a man, for he harms himself very quickly, that man who judges a man.
Only I or someone like me can assess a man.

Buddha in the Surangamasamadhi Sutra

Nicholas

Re: Platonic traditions

Postby Nicholas » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:26 pm

A serious introduction to Plato by a true Platonist of recent times, Thomas Taylor:

http://www.prometheustrust.co.uk/Thomas_Taylors_intro_to_Plato.pdf

"Philosophy," says Hierocles, "is the purification and perfection of human life. It is the purification, indeed, from material irrationality, and the mortal body; but the perfection, in consequence of being the resumption of our proper felicity, and a reascent to the divine likeness. To effect these two is the province of Virtue and Truth; the former exterminating the immoderation of the passions; and the latter introducing the divine form to those who are naturally adapted to its reception."

Of philosophy thus defined, which may be compared to a luminous pyramid, terminating in Deity, and having for its basis the rational soul of man and its spontaneous unperverted conceptions, - of this philosophy, august, magnificent, and divine, Plato may be justly called the primary leader and hierophant, through whom, like the mystic light in the inmost recesses of some sacred temple, it first shone forth with occult and venerable splendour. It may indeed be truly said of the whole of this philosophy, that it is the greatest good which man can participate: for if it purifies us from the defilements of the passions and assimilates us to Divinity, it confers on us the proper felicity of our nature.
Last edited by Nicholas on Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man should not judge a man, for he harms himself very quickly, that man who judges a man.

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:07 am

This Collected Works of the American Platonist Thomas M. Johnson is 400 or so pages of uplifting and wise translations and some original writings by Johnson. The Exhortation to Philosophy by Iamblichus is splendid and the only translation into English, so far.

In hardback for about $32 from Amazon.

http://www.prometheustrust.co.uk/html/other_books.html#tmj
Last edited by Nicholas on Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:50 pm

This excellent commentary on Plato's Meno is a good thinker's introduction to the Platonic path:

The Virtue of Recollection in Platos Meno.pdf
(150.73 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Return to “Abrahamic contemplative traditions, general comparisons”