Resolution for Buddhahood

Cultivating virtue, generosity, renunciation, wisdom, energy, patience, truthfulness, resolve, universal love, equanimity, compassion.
Nicholas

Resolution for Buddhahood

Postby Nicholas » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:40 pm

In Mahayana Buddhism Bodhicitta is the root of all virtues. Translated as Bodhi Mind or Bodhi Resolve; this motivation is to become a full Buddha and assist all beings to tread that path toward buddhahood. Many sutras teach it, and the Avatamsaka Sutra is one of the best. Here is the first simile from chapter 39:

Bodhicitta is like the seed, because it is able to generate all Buddha dharmas.

That is, all the elements needed: selfless wisdom, compassion and energy etc.

After 100+ similes there follows a similar number of metaphors.
Last edited by Nicholas on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
How grand indeed shines the light of truth upon the face of the man whose heart is enlightened by the sense of his oneness with all; and what pathos there is when the sense of separateness drives him away from his oneness with other men.

G. de Purucker

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:13 am

The late Yogi Chen listed the similes and metaphors from chapter 39:

http://www.yogichen.org/cw/cw39/bk108.html

http://www.yogichen.org/cw/cw39/bk109.html
Last edited by Nicholas on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How grand indeed shines the light of truth upon the face of the man whose heart is enlightened by the sense of his oneness with all; and what pathos there is when the sense of separateness drives him away from his oneness with other men.

G. de Purucker

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:05 pm

In Santideva's Training Anthology he writes:

Thus, having made the root of faith stable, the Awakening Mind [bodhicitta] should be made stable, because it is the sum of all forms of goodness. So, for example, in the noble Inquiry of Siṃha Sūtra, the Prince Siṃha asked the Blessed One:

What is the one action
That sums up all virtues,
So as to be dear to sentient beings
Wherever you are born?

The Blessed One replied:
In order to set free all sentient beings,
You should subdue the mind, with Awakening as goal.
This is the sum of all virtues.
In this way, you will be held dear.

Excerpt From: Charles Goodman. The Training Anthology of Santideva.
Last edited by Nicholas on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G. de Purucker

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:14 am

When an ordinary person arouses the Awakening Mind, how do we know that this [intention] is not mere words? Because many scriptures teach that it is not. For example, we are taught in the Holy Teaching of Vimalakīrti (Vimalakīrti-nirdeśa):
“When someone who has a false view of a real self the size of Mt. Meru arouses the Awakening Mind, because of that, the qualities of a Buddha grow in that person.”

Excerpt From: The Training Anthology of Santideva.
Last edited by Nicholas on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G. de Purucker

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:18 pm

A bodhisattva great being who is carrying out wholesome actions, when dedicating a wholesome action, should arouse the following thought: “Those sentient beings do not have any wholesome actions by which they could save themselves; how much less so [could they save] others? I am now gathering wholesome actions for the sake of all sentient beings. I dedicate this wholesome action to free all sentient beings, to provide light for all sentient beings, to teach all sentient beings, to liberate all sentient beings, to uphold all sentient beings, to develop all sentient beings fully, to gain the trust of all sentient beings, to delight all sentient beings, to cut through the doubts of all sentient beings. For aeons, I should be like the disk of the sun. I should expect no help from anyone else. I should not make room for someone else and then remove the armor that is for sentient beings. And in the presence of all sentient beings, I should not stop my efforts to save all sentient beings. I should not cease destroying all forms of suffering through practicing dedication. I should not be possessive about small wholesome actions, nor be satisfied with a small dedication.”

Excerpt From: Charles Goodman. The Training Anthology of Santideva p. 268
Last edited by Nicholas on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G. de Purucker

PuerAzaelis

Re: Bodhicitta

Postby PuerAzaelis » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:00 am

Thank you for all of these.
If a man going down into a river, swollen and swiftly flowing, is carried away by the current - how can he help others across?

Nicholas

Re: Resolution for Buddhahood

Postby Nicholas » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:20 pm

PuerAzaelis wrote:Thank you for all of these.

My pleasure, glad you like them. By the by, that last one was from the Vajra Flag Sutra which I do not think has been fully translated into English - yet.

G. de Purucker

Return to “Practicing the Perfections & Brahma-viharas”