Theosophy

A place to discuss pagan paths including Wiccan, Druid, goddess paths, etc.
Nicholas

Theosophy

Postby Nicholas » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:04 pm

Although theosophy with a small 't', meaning godly or divine wisdom, has been around in many forms for ages, the modern version that Blavatsky taught brings together the differing strands.

Here is David Reigle's latest blog of 31 July outlining the basic philosophical propositions - not an easy read, much pondering is needed:

http://prajnaquest.fr/blog/

It is titled "Basic Premises behind the Book of Dzyan."
A man should not judge a man, for he harms himself very quickly, that man who judges a man.
Only I or someone like me can assess a man.

Buddha in the Surangamasamadhi Sutra

Nicholas

Re: Theosophy

Postby Nicholas » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:56 am

Although there is much high philosophy and metaphysics in Theosophy, the keynote is described by HP Blavatsky:

Altruism is the keynote of Theosophy and the cure for all ills; this it is which the real Founders of the Theosophical Society promote as its first object—UNIVERSAL BROTHERHOOD.

Theosophy teaches, as foremost of all virtues, altruism and self-sacrifice, brotherhood and compassion for every living creature.

Collected Writings XI:164 and Collected Writings XIII:97
Last edited by Nicholas on Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A man should not judge a man, for he harms himself very quickly, that man who judges a man.

Nicholas

Re: Interfaith gathering

Postby Nicholas » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:18 pm

In 1893 there was a World Parliament of Religions, then again in Chicago in 1993. Recently another gathering was held in Salt Lake City, Utah. Here is a video report about it from a theosophist. Theosophy was represented at all of these Parliaments.

Go to 1:11 minutes to find the beginning... http://livestream.com/blavatskyhouse/ITC2016P8

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:09 am

Blavatsky on a keynote of the Theosophical Society:

The recognition of pure Theosophy — the philosophy of the rational explanation of things and not the tenets — is of the most vital importance in the Society, inasmuch as it alone can furnish the beacon-light needed to guide humanity on its true path.

This should never be forgotten, nor should the following fact be overlooked. On the day when Theosophy will have accomplished its most holy and most important mission — namely, to unite firmly a body of men of all nations in brotherly love and bent on a pure altruistic work, not on a labor with selfish motives — on that day only will Theosophy become higher than any nominal brotherhood of man.

1888 Letter to America.
Last edited by Nicholas on Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:30 pm

Have only skimmed this recent work by a theosophist, Rudi Jansma; looks to give much evidence for the primacy of consciousness over brain:

http://www.dailytheosophy.net/editorials/consciousness-mind-brain/

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:31 pm

No permanent progress is possible through fostering the illusion of separateness, and that man’s true duty at all times and in all circumstances is the love of his kind and the preservation of harmony around him.

W.Q. Judge, Echoes of the Orient 1:181
Last edited by Nicholas on Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:20 pm

Theosophical Society Pasadena has made many of their HTML books into free PDF e-books; over 60 it appears! Also some are in Spanish, Swedish, Russian and Italian.

http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/ts/tup-ebooks.htm
Last edited by Nicholas on Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:56 pm

An interview of Gary Lachman, the author of a recent (2012) biography of Blavatsky, the founder of modern theosophy:

http://www.newdawnmagazine.com/articles/the-inscrutable-madame-blavatsky-an-interview-with-gary-lachman

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:15 pm

Although Blavatsky is rightly considered the modern mover of the Perennial Wisdom view of spirituality, the idea has been around for a very long time:

http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/ts/pere_wis.htm

Nicholas

Re: G. de Purucker 1874-1942

Postby Nicholas » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:39 pm

One of the brightest souls who worked for Theosophy. Here are tributes to him by those who knew him personally and those who knew him through his teachings; plus a biographical sketch and excerpts from his teachings.

http://teozofija.info/Theosophia/Theosophia_Vol30_No3.htm

This magazine was edited by Boris de Zirkoff, a disciple of Purucker.

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:06 pm

Noble ethics are central to theosophical living, as is the case in most Paths. Here is Purucker on abortion:

I might, finally, point out the fact, all too often ignored or indeed utterly unknown to modern men and women, that once conception has taken place and the embryo begins its growth, any attempt whatsoever to stop its growth or to destroy it is plain murder in the teaching of the Esoteric Philosophy, considered as being only a little less bad than the murder of an adult human being, and this 'little less' only because such destruction takes place before the self-consciousness of the victim has had a chance to come into flower. Let there be no doubt whatsoever about this fact, for it should be understood clearly among all Theosophists... it is perfectly permissible and proper to state anywhere and at any time and to anybody as being the teaching of Theosophy -- I mean that any attempt to abort, or to destroy a human embryo is considered by us as murder.

PuerAzaelis

Postby PuerAzaelis » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:18 pm

I had a Blavatsky phase, but moved to Steiner, which I consider a graduation. His view of the west is more sympathetic. If he was good enough for Albert Schweitzer, Saul Bellow, Wassily Kandinsky, Andrei Tarkovsky, I have time for him.

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:02 am

Devotion to HP Blavatsky is passe with many 'theosophists' today, not to mention spiritually 'advanced' folk. Yet those who knew her well, loved and admired her. This pdf of tributes, quotes from HPB, and a biographical time-line is also available as a book from many reprinters.

It is a good introduction to understanding HPB:

http://blavatskyarchives.com/theosophypdfs/tingley_helena_petrovna_blavatsky_1921.pdf

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:40 pm

Interesting new issue of Lucifer magazine on duties & rights for this lifetime and future ones.

http://www.blavatskyhouse.org/pdf/Lucifer-EN-No1-2016.pdf

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:20 am

Purucker on "The Heritage of Man is Man Himself" - written in 1940s:

http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/forum/f22n03p101_the-heritage-of-man-is-man-himself.htm

There is a wonderful French proverb which runs thus: Tout com-prendre, c'est tout pardonner: To understand everything is to forgive all. To understand all the hid causes, the results, the past destiny, the present strength, the temptation, the virtue, whatever it may be — to understand all this is to have divine knowledge, and it means to forgive. It is a wonderful proverb and must have been uttered, I venture to say, first by some human being who had a touch of illumination.

Nicholas

Re: Theosophy videos

Postby Nicholas » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:58 pm

Most are in English, yet there are three in Portuguese:

http://www.blavatskyhouse.org/videos

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:35 pm

Today is the date of the Winter Solstice for 2016; a sacred time of spiritual initiation. Here is G. de Purucker on the inner events:

http://www.theosophy-nw.org/theosnw/seasons/4s-gdpw.htm

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:28 pm

Esotericism, pure and simple, speaks of no personal God; therefore are we considered as Atheists. But, in reality, Occult Philosophy, as a whole, is based absolutely on the ubiquitous presence of God, the Absolute Deity; and if IT Itself is not speculated upon, as being too sacred and yet incomprehensible as a Unit to the finite intellect, yet the entire Philosophy is based upon Its Divine Powers as being the Source of all that breathes and lives and has existence.

In every ancient Religion the ONE was demonstrated by the many. In Egypt and India, in Chaldæ and Phœnicia, and finally in Greece, the ideas about Deity were expressed by multiples of three, five and seven; and also by eight, nine and twelve great Gods, which symbolized the powers and properties of the One and Only Deity. This was related to that infinite subdivision by irregular and odd numbers to which the metaphysics of these nations subjected their ONE DIVINITY.

Thus constituted, the cycle of the Gods has all the qualities and attributes of the ONE SUPREME AND UNKNOWABLE; for in this collection of divine Personalities, or rather of Symbols personified, dwells the ONE GOD, the GOD ONE, that God which, in India, is said to have no Second.

HP Blavatsky in Esoteric Instructions 99-100

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:13 pm

The tendency of modern civilization is a reaction towards animalism, towards a development of those
qualities which conduce to the success in life of man as an animal in the struggle for animal existence.
Theosophy seeks to develop the human nature in man in addition to the animal, and at the sacrifice of the
superfluous animality which modern life and materialistic teachings have developed to a degree which is
abnormal for the human being at this stage of his progress.

Men cannot all be Occultists, but they can all be Theosophists. Many who have never heard of the [Theosophical] Society
are Theosophists without knowing it themselves; for the essence of Theosophy is the perfect harmonizing of the
divine with the human in man, the adjustment of his god-like qualities and aspirations, and their sway over
the terrestrial or animal passions in him. Kindness, absence of every ill feeling or selfishness, charity,
goodwill to all beings, and perfect justice to others as to oneself, are its chief features. He who teaches
Theosophy preaches the gospel of goodwill; and the converse of this is true also — he who preaches the
gospel of goodwill, teaches Theosophy.

Blavatsky letter of 1888

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:37 pm

Return to “Pagan religions”