Search found 17 matches

by tlxxxviii
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:36 pm
Forum: Engaged Buddhism, engaged Dharma
Topic: A Critique of Engaged Buddhism
Replies: 19
Views: 3459

Re: A Critique of Engaged Buddhism

This is a tiny and near-moribund forum. I think a measure of respect and equanimity, above the typical internetz shenanigans, might help to retain people and attract new ones. There are many other, more lively places where we can indulge in bitterness. Christ died on a cross, and you're bent becaus...
by tlxxxviii
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:29 am
Forum: Engaged Buddhism, engaged Dharma
Topic: A Critique of Engaged Buddhism
Replies: 19
Views: 3459

Re: A Critique of Engaged Buddhism

Iconodule wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:11 am
That’s quite a rude and uncalled-for response.
Emotion over substance, yes. The way of the internet.
by tlxxxviii
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:42 am
Forum: Engaged Buddhism, engaged Dharma
Topic: A Critique of Engaged Buddhism
Replies: 19
Views: 3459

Re: A Critique of Engaged Buddhism

But suggesting that Bhikkhu Bodhi is a fake monk, fake Buddhist, etc. crosses the line in my opinion. Not what I suggested; only that his Bhikkhu focus has become weak & fuzzy and samsara is too much with him. There are many Bhikkhus, especially Westerners who disrobe after 5 or 10 years. There are...
by tlxxxviii
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:37 pm
Forum: Engaged Buddhism, engaged Dharma
Topic: A Critique of Engaged Buddhism
Replies: 19
Views: 3459

Re: A Critique of Engaged Buddhism

Iconodule wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:37 pm
He is a real Buddhist monk and a fine scholar too.
Ye shall know them by their fruits.

I did spend the day piecing together scriptural evidence for why he's wrong. So maybe it's upaya. Clever monk!
by tlxxxviii
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:35 am
Forum: Engaged Buddhism, engaged Dharma
Topic: A Critique of Engaged Buddhism
Replies: 19
Views: 3459

Re: A Critique of Engaged Buddhism

For example: A Fresh Breeze in Washington Bhikkhu Bodhi The midterm elections last night brought a mixture of good news and bad news. The Republicans still won too many contests for comfort, but the Democrats did take the House, creating a roadblock against the Trump administration’s toxic policies....
by tlxxxviii
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:50 am
Forum: Engaged Buddhism, engaged Dharma
Topic: A Critique of Engaged Buddhism
Replies: 19
Views: 3459

Re: A Critique of Engaged Buddhism

I was listening to a "dhamma talk" from Bikkhu Bodhi last night and he said something to the effect of "there is goodness built into the fabric of the universe." It struck me that something so bizarre could come out of him, and part of the reason I started learning Pali is because I really, really, ...
by tlxxxviii
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:35 pm
Forum: News, current events, politics
Topic: Sri Lanka Bombings
Replies: 6
Views: 782

Re: Sri Lanka Bombings

Iconodule wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:04 pm
Unfortunately we will probably see more attacks like this around the world as the jihadists return home from their defeat in Syria.
Disrespectful aside: It's amazing to me that the iconolator has the most Buddhist avatar on the board.Image
by tlxxxviii
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:11 am
Forum: News, current events, politics
Topic: Sri Lanka Bombings
Replies: 6
Views: 782

Sri Lanka Bombings

At what point in a human life does dukkha (and nibbida) become self-evident? Is the hearing of the dhamma a precondition or a result?
by tlxxxviii
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:25 am
Forum: Christianity, Gnosticism-Christian mysticism
Topic: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas
Replies: 21
Views: 2072

Re: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas

Harmony between devas & Buddha is not automatic, it depends on the deva. Mara, the Buddhist demonic power & his minions obstruct Buddhas & his teachings to this day. (Devas live much longer lives than we.) Thanks for the book! Queued. As for the inharmoniousness possible between the Buddha(s) and t...
by tlxxxviii
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:44 pm
Forum: Christianity, Gnosticism-Christian mysticism
Topic: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas
Replies: 21
Views: 2072

Re: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas

One curious fact I discovered, at least in Chinese Mahayana, is that YHVH or 'Jehovah' is accepted as a high & noble deva who met Buddha & became a Dharma protector & friend. Of course he is known by another name in the East- Indra or Shakra. There is something quite charming about the idea of Thor...
by tlxxxviii
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:31 pm
Forum: Christianity, Gnosticism-Christian mysticism
Topic: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas
Replies: 21
Views: 2072

Re: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas

As a Buddhist of course you are bound to regard Christianity as an inferior vehicle to the Buddha Dharma. I understand and respect this position. We don't have to agree on everything to have useful discussions. Now if you say, "I do not care a whit for God's Kingdom," because you regard it as a tra...
by tlxxxviii
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:46 am
Forum: Christianity, Gnosticism-Christian mysticism
Topic: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas
Replies: 21
Views: 2072

Re: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas

You can discuss or not discuss what you like within the forum rules, and I can respond by the same parameters. True enough. And on reflection, I did not come here because I am looking for an echo chamber in which to validate my views. I am just having trouble understanding how you and I can move fo...
by tlxxxviii
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:27 am
Forum: Christianity, Gnosticism-Christian mysticism
Topic: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas
Replies: 21
Views: 2072

Re: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas

Iconodule wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:54 pm
As a rule, the name YHWH would not be said aloud;...
6,519 times in the OT.
0 times in the NT.

k

EDIT: But just to be clear, I didn't come to dharmapaths.com to discuss the dogma of Orthodoxy, so we need not go any further down this path.
by tlxxxviii
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:18 am
Forum: Christianity, Gnosticism-Christian mysticism
Topic: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas
Replies: 21
Views: 2072

Re: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas

You are in Riyadh right now? As in Saudi Arabia? I assume you're not Muslim, perhaps there teaching? I haven't been to Saudi Arabia yet; Jews aren't allowed (afaik, unless the rules have changed) but perhaps as a convert to Buddhism, I might be allowed in. Israelis no. Jews yes. I have had a number...
by tlxxxviii
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:20 am
Forum: Christianity, Gnosticism-Christian mysticism
Topic: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas
Replies: 21
Views: 2072

Re: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas

DNS wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:00 pm
I have written about this in some parts of my book I wrote:
https://thedhamma.com/
Thanks for this!

And speaking of fascinating, weird things—I spent about 5 years in Las Vegas. My parents are still in Aliante. Yow!
by tlxxxviii
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:14 am
Forum: Christianity, Gnosticism-Christian mysticism
Topic: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas
Replies: 21
Views: 2072

Re: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas

By the time of the New Testament, though, it's simply not the case that the Jewish God- and the Christian God- could be regarded as one among many. Gnosticism, as a word, has been about as abused as a word can be abused, but I've always found in interesting that the name YHWH isn't used in any way,...
by tlxxxviii
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:37 am
Forum: Christianity, Gnosticism-Christian mysticism
Topic: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas
Replies: 21
Views: 2072

YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas

First post. Hi. I have recently come across an exegetical Christian scholar who has, to my mind, explained a good deal of some of the weirder parts of the Bible. Much of his scholarship is concerned with the Divine Council, which permeates both Old and New Testament writings, and which goes a good w...