Journeys beyond death

the indestructible way
Nicholas

Journeys beyond death

Post by Nicholas » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:24 pm

A summary review of a Tibetan woman's visit (as a Delog) to realms sublime and otherwise, while out of her body. The book or e-book versions are still available, a fascinating adventure she had. She was the mother of Chagdud Tulku.

http://tibetan-biographies.wikischolars ... .edu/Delog

To order the book - http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Books_End_of_Life.html
Last edited by Nicholas on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha

Nicholas

Re: Journeys beyond death

Post by Nicholas » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:14 pm

The Abstract of the review:
Abstract: Delog: Journey to Realms Beyond Death tells the story of a 16 year old delog, Dawa Drolma’s journey to various realms after death. Delog refers to a person who has died, visited the realms of heaven and hell, the bardo, and returns to tell the tale. Born in the early 20th century, Dawa Drolma lived most of her life in Central Tibet outside of Lhasa and died in 1941. She was revered as a lama and dakini and was well known throughout the region as a delog. To become a delog, Dawa Drolma made the conscious choice to induce a death like state. At the age of 16 she traveled for five days through the Pure Realm of Padmasambava, the Impure Realms of Being, the Pure Realm of Avalokiteshvara, and the Pure Realm of Tara. Transcribed shortly after her revival by Gyazur Tulku the story was later translated by Robert Barron in 1995.
From the Introduction by her son Chagdud Tulku:
As a child in Tibet, I sometimes found my mother, Delog Dawa Drolma, surrounded by an audience listening with utmost attention as she told of her journeys to other realms. Her face was radiant as she spoke of the deities in the pure realms; tears flowed as she described the miseries of hell beings and pretas, or tormented spirits. She told of encountering deceased relatives of certain people, and she relayed from the dead to the living concerns about unfinished business (perhaps buried coins or jewels that could not be located) or pleas for prayers and ceremonies. She also brought back spiritual advice from high lamas who had passed from this world, to which lamas on this side of death responded with deep respect.

My mother was revered throughout Tibet for her extraordinary powers as a lama, but she was more famous for being a delog (pronounced DAY-loak), one who has crossed the threshold of death and returned to tell about it.
Last edited by Nicholas on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:19 pm

This is how her testimony begins:
The accounts to be related here concern me, Dawa Drolma...
From the time that I was a small child, I was endowed with a
compassionate nature, unbiased faith, and pure vision. My love was strong for
all beggars and those less fortunate than I, and I devoted myself to making
offerings and giving charity.

I performed many intensive recitation retreats, completing, for example,
hundreds of thousands of repetitions of the Seven-Line Supplication.2
##############
2. A well-known prayer to Padmasambhava. Also known as Guru Rinpoche, Padmasambhava was a
Vajrayana Buddhist master of the Indian subcontinent who journeyed to Tibet in the eighth century C.E. to
further establish the Buddhist tradition in that land. He is revered by Tibetans as the “second Buddha,” and
much of the devotional practice in Tibetan Buddhism focuses on him.
Last edited by Nicholas on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholas

Re: Death and beyond death

Post by Nicholas » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:37 pm

This excellent book by Tulku Thondup, Peaceful Death, Joyful Rebirth, has many delog reports, in addition to good advice for preparing for death and how to handle our after-death awareness:

http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md ... 254E0630D1

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:41 pm

It is important to reiterate that the hellish realms or pure lands in which we may travel after death or take birth are not external world systems situated somewhere else. The experiences of enjoyment or suffering in different world systems after death are merely reflections of our own karmic tendencies. It is like a dream journey, fabricated by our own habitual mental impressions. Let us bear this point in mind whenever we read about karmic consequences. The mind generates its own experiences of happiness and suffering after death as a result of tendencies gathered and reinforced through successive lifetimes. Produced by the mind, these experiences also take place in the mind, nowhere else.
Excerpt From: Tulku Thondup. Peaceful Death, Joyful Rebirth: A Tibetan Buddhist Guidebook; 9-10

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:34 am

An interview with Yama, King of Death; note he says every human will have face him. If he were not meeting with a Tibetan, how might his remarks sound to a Christian or Jew or Jain or....?
Through Changchub, the Dharma King sent messages to the beings of the World of the Living, saying, “Trust in the Three Jewels, develop enlightened attitudes, make offerings, receive teachings and transmissions, and especially recite OM MANI PADME HUNG, which is the essence of Dharma.”

Changchub asked the Dharma King, “Do all human beings have to see you when they die?” The Dharma King replied, “There is no one in the human world who will not meet me, with the exception of two kinds of people. People who have been committed to the Dharma from their birth will go to the Blissful Pure Land as soon as their minds are separated from their bodies. They will have no need to see me. Those who have committed grave misdeeds from their birth will go straight down to hell. They will have no chance to see me.”

Again Changchub asked, “Is there any virtuous deed that will not benefit, or is there any evil deed that will not harm?” The Dharma King answered, “Yes, even if you spent wealth for virtuous projects, if you have taken it from vajra masters or your parents by deception, from ascetics by force, or from any others as taxes, then it will not count as a virtue. Opposing enemies of masters and of the Dharma will not count as an evil deed. If, with the intention of protecting the weak or vulnerable, you oppose harmful beasts, poisonous snakes, thieves, murderers, and other beings who hurt others, that is not unvirtuous."
Excerpt From: Tulku Thondup; Peaceful Death, Joyful Rebirth: A Tibetan Buddhist Guidebook, 146

Poptart

Post by Poptart » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:19 am

Thanks, Nicholas. That one looks interesting. :namaste:

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:11 pm

About 30 minute interview with a Near Death Experiencer:

phpBB [video]

Poptart

Post by Poptart » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:33 pm

I don't know if you have encountered The Art of Dying by Peter and Elizabeth Fenwick. Dr Fenwick is a neuro-psychiatrist who has studied near death experiences and is a leading authority on the subject. It's an interesting read.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Dying-Pete ... t+of+dying

keshymarkyz

Post by keshymarkyz » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:38 am

Poptart wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:19 am
Thanks, Nicholas. That one looks interesting. :namaste: https://emilydavinci.com
I went there for a time during those are not accepted anyone else.. but still :tech: :tech:

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Sat May 18, 2019 1:47 am

Nicholas wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:24 pm
A summary review of a Tibetan woman's visit (as a Delog) to realms sublime and otherwise, while out of her body. The book or e-book versions are still available, a fascinating adventure she had. She was the mother of Chagdud Tulku.

http://tibetan-biographies.wikischolars ... .edu/Delog

To order the book - http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Books_End_of_Life.html
Both links above are dead. So I will post more excerpts from the Delog lady's visits to non-physical realms. These are some incidents that happened involving the - Copper-Colored Mountain of Glory: The Pure Realm of Padmasambhava.
At one time the three tulkus,6 as well as Jatrul7 and others, traveled down into the valley to participate in an extensive ritual, an annual event held in a large felt tent. On the evening before they were to disperse, I had a vision that was partly a meditative experience, partly a dream. In this vision, three demons known as the “sisters of broken samaya”8 came from the direction of Lashar Plateau, robbing the life force of beings on the three planes of conditioned existence.9 The principal sister held a black silk banner and a noose; although she attempted again and again to loop them around my waist, my karmic deity, the venerable Tara, appeared in a youthful manifestation, her form brilliant white, and placed me within a protective fortified tent, so that the noose could not reach me.10
Footnotes
6. In Tibetan Buddhism, tulkus are incarnations of former spiritual masters, formally recognized and
enthroned and educated to carry on the activities of their former incarnations. The three tulkus mentioned
here were Tromge Kundun, Tromge Trungpa, and Drimed Khakyod Wangpo, who were teachers of Dawa
Drolma and figure prominently in her accounts. The last was, moreover, her paternal uncle and had passed
away before the events narrated herein took place.
7. Jatrul, the “incarnation of Ja,” a student of the three tulkus mentioned in note 6, claimed that Dawa
Drolma was destined to be his spiritual consort. Her family, however, refused to give him her hand in
marriage. Bitterly disappointed, Jatrul blamed Dawa Drolma’s father, Jigmed T’hrogyal, for denying him
his destined wife.
8. When human beings break their Vajrayana commitments, or samaya, they are reborn as nonhuman
demonic beings known in Tibetan as damsri, or “demons of broken samaya.” Not only do these demons
experience the negative effects of their own breaches of ethics, they encourage others by their actions to
commit the same breaches.
9. The three planes are the nether world, the surface world, and the heavens.
10. A karmic deity is the deity with whom a person has the strongest karmic connection, owing to ties
established in former lifetimes.

Nicholas

Lingza Chokyi dying

Post by Nicholas » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:04 pm

Lingza Chokyi was a delog; this is part of her after death story:
Chokyi called her family to her side and told her husband, “I won’t survive this sickness. Now I have
my last few words to tell you. I haven’t accumulated any merits in my life. Instead, I committed many evil
deeds here and there. Please spend one-third of the family property to make merits for me.”...
At this her husband said, “If we spend one-third of the property for you, what will we eat? Our
daughter will need your jewelry for herself. After your death, I will have to marry again in order to keep
up the household. The children are too young to stand on their own feet. I will spend something for you,
but I can’t promise how much.”
Chokyi thought, “Now he won’t sponsor any big Dharma service for me. Why didn’t I make some
merits myself, when I had the chance and the ability? He is going to remarry, and the children will suffer.
How pitiful they are!”

This exchange made Chokyi sadder. The sadness brought a feeling of dizziness. Next she felt she was
being pulled down into the earth, and she began to go through a number of frightening experiences. She
felt that she was being pushed down by the force of many people, wobbling here and there in a big space,
and shivering with freezing cold. Then she suffered from the sense that her body was being burned at a
cremation ground, seeing the sparks of fire and hearing the roar of flames. When that feeling subsided, she
was blown away by a strong storm. Then she felt her body being cut into pieces by many people with
various tools. All these apprehensions were merely the result of the dissolving of the elements of her body.
From Peaceful Death, Joyful Rebirth by Tulku Thondup.