Meher Baba

includes modern movements; ISKCON, SRF, TM, etc.
Presto Kensho

Meher Baba

Post by Presto Kensho »

DNS wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:49 am
Presto Kensho wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:08 am Why would a religion, founded over a hundred years ago in the Middle East, need to follow contemporary Western leftist sensibilities?
Because about 150 years ago is not that long ago, in comparison to the very old religions of Buddhism, Taoism, Jainism, etc. And it's not "Western leftist" to believe women are capable of awakening, holding clergy positions and other positions of authority and power. Golda Meir, Margaret Thatcher and many others were conservative women from well over 50 years ago. The Queen of England is perhaps the most famous monarch in recent history and has been on the throne for over 68 years and she's certainly conservative; i.e., not leftist.
Let's not forget that, according to traditional Theravadin teachings, only a male can become a buddha.
True, but then that's at least a 2500 year old religion and it is referring to one rare individual who comes around only once every 5,000 + years or more.

The Bahai UHJ is a 9 member board of men only and will stay that way for at least 1,000 years, according to Bahai teachings.
Meher Baba is Maitreya, God in human form, not Bahaullah. My new religion is Meher Baba's love for me.
DNS
Site Admin

Meher Baba

Post by DNS »

Presto Kensho wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:48 am My new religion is Meher Baba's love for me.
Sounds like an improvement, imo. :tongue:
Meher Baba gave numerous teachings on the cause and purpose of life, including teaching reincarnation and that the phenomenal world is an illusion. He taught that the Universe is imagination, that God is what really exists, and that each soul is really God passing through imagination to realize individually his own divinity. In addition he gave practical advice for the aspirant who wishes to attain God-realization and thereby escape the wheel of births and deaths.[19] He also taught about the concept of Perfect Masters, the Avatar, and those on the various stages of the spiritual path that he called involution. His most important teachings are recorded in his principal books Discourses and God Speaks.

According to Baba, each soul pursues conscious divinity by evolving, that is, experiencing itself in a succession of imagined forms through seven "kingdoms" of stone/metal, vegetable, worm, fish, bird, animal, and human.[99] The soul identifies itself with each successive form, becoming thus tied to illusion. During this evolution of forms, the power of thought increases, until in human form thought becomes infinite. Although in human form, the soul is capable of conscious divinity, all the impressions that it has gathered during evolution are illusory ones that create a barrier against the soul knowing itself. For this barrier to be overcome, further births in human form are needed in a process known as reincarnation.[100]

The soul will reach a stage where its previously gathered impressions grow thin or weak enough that it enters a final stage called involution. This stage also requires a series of human births, during which the soul begins an inner journey, by which it realizes its true identity as God. Baba breaks this inner journey of Realization into seven stages he called "planes." The process culminates, at the seventh plane, with God-realization, at which the goal of life for the soul is reached.[101]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meher_Baba
Presto Kensho

Meher Baba

Post by Presto Kensho »

I have decided not to become a Baha'i. One of Meher Baba's major American disciples was a woman who had been a Baha'i but she left the organization because she believed the Universal House of Justice had asserted its authority beyond what Baha'u'llah intended.
Nicholas

Meher Baba

Post by Nicholas »

From the Wiki article on Baba:
Baba, for many years, asked his followers to undertake austerities on 10 July, the anniversary of the day his silence began, such as keeping silence, fasting and praying. In his final Silence Day request to his followers in 1968, he asked only that they keep silent. Many followers continue to celebrate Silence Day by keeping silence in his honor.
May all seek, find and follow the Path of Buddhas.
Presto Kensho

Meher Baba

Post by Presto Kensho »

When Meher Baba passed away into Nirvana, he promised to break his decades of silence in the hearts of his followers.
DNS
Site Admin

Meher Baba

Post by DNS »

Nicholas wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:55 pm From the Wiki article on Baba:
Baba, for many years, asked his followers to undertake austerities on 10 July, the anniversary of the day his silence began, such as keeping silence, fasting and praying. In his final Silence Day request to his followers in 1968, he asked only that they keep silent. Many followers continue to celebrate Silence Day by keeping silence in his honor.
Holy cow! Today is July 10th and here we are talking (I mean writing, not talking) about Baba on this auspicious day!

In 5 years on July 10, 2025 it will be the 100th anniversary of his pledge of silence.
Presto Kensho

Meher Baba

Post by Presto Kensho »

Meher Baba maintained his silence because he said the original message of all the previous avatars, including the Buddha, had been neglected.

Everything that needed to be said about God, the afterlife, and the path to enlightenment are in his book God Speaks, which is freely available by PDF online.
Presto Kensho

Re: Meher Baba

Post by Presto Kensho »

Meher Baba doesn't neatly fit into the category of Hindu.

His major book, God Speaks, draws practically equally from Vedantism and Sufism, while rejecting or ignoring the dietary laws and other culturally contingent features of both.

In India, it's not uncommon for Hindu and Muslim mysticism to influence each other. It's one of the reasons Sikhism came about.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Presto Kensho wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:51 am Meher Baba doesn't neatly fit into the category of Hindu.

His major book, God Speaks, draws practically equally from Vedantism and Sufism, while rejecting or ignoring the dietary laws and other culturally contingent features of both.

In India, it's not uncommon for Hindu and Muslim mysticism to influence each other. It's one of the reasons Sikhism came about.
I thought you might mention that. Yes, he doesn't really fit into any of the categories we have here, because he fits somewhat into all of them.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Meher Baba called himself the avatar of the age, but he also used an equivalent Sufi term, rasul, for himself as well. While he didn't form any new religion in his name, he was instrumental in founding the Western Sufi order Sufism Reoriented:
https://www.sufismreoriented.org

While he didn't start Sufism Reoriented, he helped them along by writing their charter. Most followers of Meher Baba have no affiliation with it.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

To understand the life and teachings of Meher Baba, it's helpful to be familiar with Shankara, the founder of Advaita Vedanta, who Meher Baba claimed to be in a past life.

According to Advaita Vedanta, the true nature of Brahman is beyond attributes, and is therefore unknowable directly by unenlightened beings like ourselves.

The various gods of Hinduism are symbolic of the one Brahman, and the purpose of devotion to these gods is to ultimately realize Brahman as atman, our true nature.

Meher Baba, as the avatar, teaches us and models to us in his life the true nature of God, so that we may ultimately attain God-realization.

Meher Baba also taught that the avatar is the first human being who attained God-realization, and who periodically returns to this world to lead all other beings to the same realization as himself.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Are there any followers of Meher Baba's in this forum?
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Meher Baba's father was a wandering dervish and ascetic who decided to marry after God promised that his spiritual quest would be fulfilled in his son. Nominally, Sheriar Irani was Zoroastrian, but he lived as a Sufi.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Meher Baba's most important book, God Speaks, is based largely on the following poem from Rumi:
I died as mineral and became a plant,
I died as plant and rose to animal,
I died as animal and I was human,
Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?
As a human, I will die once more,
Reborn, I will with the angels soar.
And when I let my angel body go,
I shall be more than mortal mind can know.
The purpose of God Speaks is largely to explain, based on the above poem, evolutionary history and the reincarnation process as leading to the ultimate goal of God-realization.

Also, of the five perfect masters from whom Meher Baba claimed to receive his authority, three were Sufis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_M ... ct_Masters
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

God Speaks by Meher Baba is largely a summary of traditional Sufi teachings and how they correspond to Vedantism. The book is only about two hundred pages and is freely available online.

In the words of Meher Baba, "I love Sufism with all my heart. All aspects of every spiritual path belong to me, but Sufism is most dear to me."
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

The Primary thing to note about Meher Baba is that He is Krishna, which He mentions so often in His writings. If you turn to reading the Bhagavad Gita and the Srimad Bhagavatam and other similar Scriptures, you will be truly honouring His Spirit because He is the same Avatar of this Age that is Lord Caitanya. We must deeply respect God and what He does when He comes down from the Spiritual World, and according to Vedic texts Krishna is even Lord Buddha Himself!
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Brahma Das wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:40 pm The Primary thing to note about Meher Baba is that He is Krishna, which He mentions so often in His writings. If you turn to reading the Bhagavad Gita and the Srimad Bhagavatam and other similar Scriptures, you will be truly honouring His Spirit because He is the same Avatar of this Age that is Lord Caitanya. We must deeply respect God and what He does when He comes down from the Spiritual World, and according to Vedic texts Krishna is even Lord Buddha Himself!
According to Meher Baba, he was also Buddha, Jesus and Muhammad in past incarnations. It's very interesting.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

No longer can I limit the Master to the form and personality of Baba, as He is known to the world outside. No longer is He an avatar or any of the divine aspects to me. He is my own real Self, manifesting itself in the world of sense through the physical body of Meher Baba. Not the personal avatar the world so eagerly is expecting, and the saints, yogis and spiritually advanced ones worshiping, but my own beloved Self, the Self of all. How can one help loving his own beloved Self?
- Sadhu Christian Leik, Disciple of Meher Baba
Brahma Das

Post by Brahma Das »

Presto Kensho wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:20 pm
Brahma Das wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:40 pm The Primary thing to note about Meher Baba is that He is Krishna, which He mentions so often in His writings. If you turn to reading the Bhagavad Gita and the Srimad Bhagavatam and other similar Scriptures, you will be truly honouring His Spirit because He is the same Avatar of this Age that is Lord Caitanya. We must deeply respect God and what He does when He comes down from the Spiritual World, and according to Vedic texts Krishna is even Lord Buddha Himself!
According to Meher Baba, he was also Buddha, Jesus and Muhammad in past incarnations. It's very interesting.
Yes! We teach this of Krishna in the Hare Krishna movement. Meher Baba is God and He does not step down from His position as God, He is prevalent in propagating all of the True Dharmic and Religious Spiritual Paths in this world. Of the Kingdom that is not of this world.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Brahma Das wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:54 am
Presto Kensho wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:20 pm
Yes! We teach this of Krishna in the Hare Krishna movement. Meher Baba is God and He does not step down from His position as God, He is prevalent in propagating all of the True Dharmic and Religious Spiritual Paths in this world. Of the Kingdom that is not of this world.
How long have you been a member of ISKCON? George Harrison and Pete Townshend were friends and talked about spirituality, even though Townshend followed Meher Baba and Harrison followed ISKCON.