Yoga Vasistha

includes modern movements; ISKCON, SRF, TM, etc.
Nicholas

Yoga Vasistha

Post by Nicholas » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:32 pm

A very profound text that contains teachings of Rishi Vasistha to Prince Rama the Avatar. It has surprising conceptual similarities with Buddhism in places. The link is to a famous abridgement of this multi-volume work.

http://selfdefinition.org/yoga/Laghu-Yo ... -Aiyer.pdf

This is how it begins:
Salutations to the Non-Dual Principle - through the
three organs (of mind, speech and body) - that is
the eternal Jnana (wisdom) Light illuminating (the
three worlds) Bhu (earth), Antariksha (intervening
space) and Swarga (heaven), as also our hearts and
their exteriors and that has manifested itself
everywhere as visible forms.

Persons qualified to read this work called Vasishta
(the work of Vasistha) should neither be Ajnanis
(the ignorant or the worldly wise), nor those
Jivanmuktas (liberated ones), who have reached
their Jnana-Atman, freeing themselves from all
pain, but only those who, conscious of being under
bondage, long after freedom from it, and are in that
vacillating position, from which they contemplate
attaining Moksha.
Last edited by Nicholas on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha

Nicholas

Re: Yoga Vasistha

Post by Nicholas » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:31 am

One must release oneself from the fetters of the world-process by the force of self-effort. Confidence in the Divine Self as one’s inner reality is needed to attain Liberation

All great men and sages attained success through their self-effort. Reliance on destiny or God is an expression of ignorance and this is the main cause of failure.
From the full Yoga-Vasistha II:5

TexasBuddhist

Post by TexasBuddhist » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:08 am

do you somehow point to the picture and identify with it? ...

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:27 am

TexasBuddhist wrote:do you somehow point to the picture and identify with it? ...
No - but I do not understand your question

TexasBuddhist

Post by TexasBuddhist » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:44 am

Nicholas wrote:
TexasBuddhist wrote:do you somehow point to the picture and identify with it? ...
No - but I do not understand your question
I may or may not understand what you're saying ~ I don't know.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:25 am

II 4 O Rama, listen to what I [Vasishtha] am about to say, which instruction is sure
to remove the darkness of ignorance. A well-sustained self-effort leads to success in
every field of life. Wherever one encounters failure, it is due to lack of self-effort.

Liberation produces selflessness; we lose our selfishness when we come to know the
unity of the soul. By effort one can attain knowledge which leads to salvation. This
is obvious; but what is called God, destiny or fate is fictitious and is not seen. The
dull and the ignorant created God, which is none other than self-effort of a past
incarnation affecting one.

Self-effort, Rama, is that mental, verbal and physical action which is in accordance
with the instructions of a holy person well versed in the scriptures. This will reveal
the moon of spiritual bliss beyond the dark clouds of mental impurities. Such effort,
continuous and constant, gives good results, all the rest is sheer madness. The goal
of self-effort is Self-realization.

It is only by such effort that Indra became king of heaven, that Brahma became the
creator, and Vishnu and Shiva earned their place. When right self-effort is
sustained, one rises to that lofty state wherein ruling the vast earth is known as
insignificant compared to the glory of Self-realization.
Last edited by Nicholas on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:14 pm

II 5 Self-effort is of two categories: that of past births and that of this present birth.
Past efforts can be counteracted by current labors. There is constant conflict, like
battling rams, between these two in this incarnation. That which is more powerful
triumphs. Men of self-effort, by firm and long practice, can undo the past effort.

Self-effort which is not in accord with the scriptures is motivated by delusion. To go
against scriptural injunctions will lead to disasters. Mental desire alone, without the
needed action, is pure lunacy. It will not only be useless, but it will lead to further delusions.

There is no power greater than right action in the present. Hence, one should take
recourse to self-effort, gritting one's teeth, and one should overcome evil by good and
destiny by present effort. Even obstructions presented by the devas are due to bad
actions in past lives.

One’s effort must be maintained until the past negative karma is overpowered. The
virtues of this life are bound to overcome the vices of past lives. Therefore, one must
cultivate serenity, self-control, reflection and meditation by his self-effort.

One must release oneself from the fetters of the world-process by the force of self-effort.
Having confidence in the Divine Self as one’s inner reality is needed to attain Liberation.

All great men and sages attained success through their self-effort. Reliance on
destiny or God is an expression of ignorance and this is the main cause of failure.

Self-effort must be sustained from a very early age in order that it may be powerful.
But self-effort devoid of wisdom leads to negative developments. A self-effort that
has been adopted in a sporadic manner will be unable to gather enough strength to
overthrow past karmas.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:41 am

The lazy man is worse than a donkey. One should never yield to laziness but strive
to attain liberation, seeing that life is ebbing away every moment. Everyday one
must think of the impermanent body and struggle to conquer the animal nature. He
must take recourse to association with good and virtuous people. One should not
revel in the filth known as sense-pleasures, even as a worm revels in pus. By good
deeds, good will return to you; by bad deeds, bad will return. Nowhere is there any
God, fortune or fate. One who ignores his present ability for self-effort for fear of his
past bad actions, might as well fear his own two arms, thinking them dangling vipers.

One who thinks that fate or God is directing him, is brainless and the goddess of
fortune abandons him. Hence, by self-effort, discrimination, good association and
study of the scriptures, acquire wisdom. Then realize that self-effort will end — in
the direct realization of the truth. But ignoring, or going against the traditional
injunctions, will not work. One should not try to create a gemstone from a ordinary
pebble. Those who do not believe in the long practiced and experienced truths of the
wise, but depend upon God, luck or destiny, are fools called the "living dead." If lazy
dullness, this dreadful source of evil, were not found on this earth, who would ever
be illiterate or poor? It is because lazy ones rely, life after life, on God or fortune that
this earth is full of people who live like animals, miserable and poverty-stricken.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:53 am

[Vasishtha continues the following morning:]

II 6 The only God or fortune is previous action. As is the effort so is the fruit, O
Rama: this is the meaning of self-effort, and it is also known as fate. What is called
fate or divine will is nothing other than the action or self-effort of the past. The
present is infinitely more potent than the past. Just as a man can govern a boy,
vigorous present actions can control past karma. The evils of yesterday can be
remedied by the good actions of today. There is no need to rely on destiny, luck or
God. They indeed are fools who are complacent about the bitter fruits of their past
actions (which they regard as divine will) and do not engage themselves in self-effort
now. A weak and dull-witted man can only see the hand of providence when he is
confronted by a powerful adversary and succumbs to him.

If you see that the present self-effort is sometimes thwarted by fortune (or divine
will), you should understand that the present self-effort is weaker than past actions.
Even the apparent experience of defeat sings the glory of one's own past self-effort.

Sometimes it happens that, without effort, someone receives a great gain. This is
certainly not an accident nor some kind of divine act, but the fruit of self-effort in a
past birth.

It is important to render the spiritual striving of this life more powerful than the
worldly striving of past lives. When failure or loss occurs, one should not yield to
vain grief. Rather one must try again and again, until the goal is reached.

The wise man should of course know what is capable of attainment by self-effort and
what is not. For what we cannot conquer, such as death, there must be no weeping.

One who does not dispel bad karma by strong effort is the same as a beast. He will
always be coming and going to heaven or hell. He is ever dependent; never
independent. He has no salvation. It is ignorance to attribute all this to an outside
agency and to think that God sends one to heaven or hell or that an outside agency
makes one do this or that — such an ignorant person should be shunned.

Destiny or karmic obstacles cannot obstruct an heroic aspirant who is determined to
discover his essential nature by proper self-effort. Having thus understood, one
must always try to cure the disease of samsara.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:24 pm

An advanced soul maintains his self-effort from one lifetime to another. Due to his
good actions, a person savors celestial joys after his death. He is then reborn with a
treasure of good karmas which enable him to advance rapidly on the spiritual path.

One should free oneself from likes and dislikes and engage oneself in righteous self-effort
and reach the supreme truth, knowing that self-effort alone is another name
for divine will. That alone is self-effort which springs from right understanding
which manifests in one's heart which has been exposed to the teachings of the
scriptures and the conduct of Holy ones. The wise shun the ignorant method of
dualism and enjoy the delight of equanimity. They realize that oneness is the goal of life.

The past effort which took one to heaven and follows one to this birth is called God.
We do not blame God or luck, which are delusions. We blame only those dolts who
give up self-effort and rely on God or providence. They are sure to destroy themselves.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:25 pm

[Absolute Reality] is both the 'is' and the 'is not', both something and not something, light and darkness. It is full of non-consciousness and (objectless) consciousness, it can only be indicated by negation (not this, not this). He became that which is beyond description.
That state is the void, Brahman, consciousness, the Purusa of the Sankhya, Isvara of the yogi, Siva, time, Atman or self, nonself, the middle, etc., of the mystics holding different views. It is that state which is established as the truth by all these scriptural viewpoints, that which is all—in that the sage remained firmly established.
V, 87:18-20
Last edited by Nicholas on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:31 pm

A readable online version, also available from Lulu as one volume book ($50 or so) or free Mobi or PDF formats:

http://yogavasishta.org/introduction.html

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:03 am

3 Rama said, “Sage, how was it that the supreme lord felt a desire to send down knowledge on earth after his creation (and not with it)?”
4 Vasishta replied:—
Brahmā in his own nature is the same as the Supreme Brahman. He is born in Him like a wave is born of the waters of the deep. 5 This great lord saw the imperfection of his creation and saw its whole course in times past, present and future. 6 He saw the decay of ceremonial rites after the end of the age of truth (the golden age) and other ages and considering the error in which men were to fall, he felt pity for them. 7 Then the lord thought of giving me true knowledge and sent me to earth to dispel the ignorance of mankind.
8 Like me, he has sent other great sages here, like Sanat Kumara, Narada and many others also. 9 He has sent them all to redeem mankind from the chains of its ignorance through a series of good acts and through their progress in divine knowledge.
II, 11:3-9

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:05 am

59 It is said there are four guards who keep watch at the gate of liberation (moksha), namely: peace (equanimity, self-control), judgment (spirit of inquiry), contentment, and company of the good.
60 All these, or three or two of them, are to be attended with care because they shall open the door leading to the abode of liberation.
61 At least one of them is to be sought with diligence, even at the expense of one’s life. Because by securing one of these a man can reconcile and gain all four.
II, 11:59-61

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:50 pm

A summary of the work by B.L. Atreya; the last 3 lectures have the philosophy & metaphysics.

https://archive.org/details/Yogavasisth ... phy_201709

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:41 pm

LECTURE III
THE TYPE OF PERSON FOR WHOM YOGAVASISTHA IS MEANT:
CONSCIOUSNESS OF SUFFERING

The next point in connection with this great work, Yogavasistha, is: For what kind
of readers is the work meant? Who, in other words, is the adhikari of this Shastra? The
author of the work himself has told us that he is the proper person to study this work who has
become aware of his bondage and longs to be free; he who is no longer in utter ignorance, but
has not yet attained wisdom (I. 2. 1). This, in other words, means that the philosophy of
Vasistha is meant for those on whom the reflective consciousness has dawned and to whom it
has been revealed that life, as it is usually lived, is characterised by bondage, evil and
suffering. The author of the work has depicted the psychology of such persons in the
mentality of Ramchandra, the pupil of Vasistha. Rama begins to reflect over the nature of life
and finds it characterised by evil, bondage and suffering. He says: What happiness can there
be in this world, where everyone is born to die (I. 12. 7)? Everything comes into existence
only to pass away (I. 12. 8). The joys of life are tantalising; prosperity is another kind of
misery; pleasures are harbingers of pain (VIb. 93. 73). How great fools we are! Although sold
to none, we act as if we are bound and sold slaves. Knowing the vanity of the affairs of life
even, we continue to be whole-heartedly engaged in them like fools (I. 12. 12).

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:51 pm

The first step in Rama's Path toward Liberation is disgust with worldly life; here is a sample of his thinking:
3 Since I was born in this my father’s palace, I have remained here, grown up, and received my
education. 4 Then, O leader of sages, desiring to learn good customs, I set out to travel to holy places
all over this sea-surrounded earth. 5 By this time, a series of reflections arose in my mind that shook
my confidence in worldly objects. 6 I employed my mind to discriminate the nature of things, which
gradually led me to discard all thoughts of sensual enjoyments.

7 What are worldly pleasures good for, and why do men multiply on earth? Men are born to die, and
they die to be born again. 8 There is no stability in the tendencies of beings whether movable or
immovable. They all tend to vice, decay and danger, and all our possessions become the grounds of our poverty.

9 All objects of sense are detached from each other like iron rods from one another. It is only
imagination which attaches them to our minds. 10 It is the mind that pictures the existence of the world
as a reality, but if we know the deceptiveness of the mind, we are safe from such deception. 11 If the
world is an unreality, it is a pity that ignorant men should be allured by it, like deer tempted by a
distant mirage of water. 12 We are sold by none, yet we are enslaved to the world. Knowing this well,
we are spell-bound with riches, as if by a magic wand. 13 What are the enjoyments in
this essence but misery? Yet we are foolishly caught in its thoughts, like bees caught in honey.

14 Ah! After long, I perceive that we have insensibly fallen into errors, like senseless stags falling into
pits in the wilderness. 15 Of what use is royalty and these enjoyments to me? What am I and where
do all these things come from? They are only vanities. Let them continue as such without any good or
loss to anybody. 16 Reasoning in this manner, O holy brahmin, I came to be disgusted with the world,
like a traveler in a desert.
Section 1, chapter 12

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:32 pm

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:06 pm

Having developed a firm non-attachment to worldly life Rama then asks his Guru Vasistha for advice on achieving Liberation. The first keynote is self-reliance:

II 4 O Rama, listen to what I [Vasistha] am about to say, which instruction is sure
to remove the darkness of ignorance. A well-sustained self-effort leads to success in
every field of life. Wherever one encounters failure, it is due to lack of self-effort.

Liberation produces selflessness; we lose our selfishness when we come to know the
unity of the soul. By effort one can attain knowledge which leads to salvation. This
is obvious; but what is called God, destiny or fate is fictitious and is not seen. The
dull and the ignorant created God, which is none other than self-effort of a past
incarnation affecting one.

Self-effort, Rama, is that mental, verbal and physical action which is in accordance
with the instructions of a holy person well versed in the scriptures. This will reveal
the moon of spiritual bliss beyond the dark clouds of mental impurities. Such effort,
continuous and constant, gives good results, all the rest is sheer madness. The goal
of self-effort is Self-realization.

It is only by such effort that Indra became king of heaven, that Brahmā became the
creator, and Vishnu and Shiva earned their place. When right self-effort is
sustained, one rises to that lofty state wherein ruling the vast earth is known as
insignificant compared to the glory of Self-realization.

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:13 pm

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/