Bhagavata Purana

includes modern movements; ISKCON, SRF, TM, etc.
Nicholas

Bhagavata Purana

Post by Nicholas » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:34 pm

A recent three volume critical edition by Debroy begins like this:
Creation and everything else 1 flow from him. Directly, and indirectly, he knows of all the objectives.
He rules over himself. He is the one who filled the heart of Brahmā, 2 the original wise being. The gods
are bemused by him. He is like the interaction between energy, water and earth. He is the certain cause
behind the three types of creation. 3 He is always his own refuge. He is the one who casts out illusion. He
is the absolute truth. We meditate on him. 4 This illustrious Bhagavata 5 was composed by the great sage. 6
It is about supreme dharma and is completely free from deceit. It is for the virtuous who are devoid of
envy. Knowledge exists here about true reality and bliss and about uprooting the three kinds of misery. 7
What else is needed to obtain the lord? If a person has cleansed his soul and is faithful, through this, he
instantly establishes him in his heart. The sacred texts are like trees that yield all the objects of desire and
this represents their ripened fruit. It emerged from Shuka’s mouth, with the pulp and juice of amrita. Drink
the Bhagavata, the store of juices. O those who possess taste! Savour it repeatedly and become happy on
earth.
1 Protection and destruction.
2 With knowledge of the Vedas.
3 Meaning the three qualities (guna) of sattva, rajas and tamas.
4 This first shloka has considerable scope for interpretation. Therefore, translations vary widely,
depending on interpretations chosen. We have deliberately kept it simple. Although we have said this
about this shloka, the same statement can also be made about all the other shlokas in this first
paragraph. Indeed, this can be said about the first three chapters.
5 Bhagavata Purana.
6 Vedavyasa, although there is also the belief that it was originally composed by Narayana. Vedavyasa (or
Vyasadeva) is more like a title. There is a Vedavyasa in every great age, the title being conferred on
someone who collates and classifies the Vedas. This Vedavyasa’s name was Krishna Dvaipayana,
Krishna because he was dark and Dvaipayana because he was born on an island (dvipa). Vedavyasa is
the composer of the Mahabharata and the Puranas.
7 Relating to adhidaivika (destiny), adhibhoutika (nature) and adhyatmika (one’s own nature).
May all seek, find and follow the Path of selflessness.

Nicholas

Re: Bhagavata Purana

Post by Nicholas » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:32 pm

Krishna had a very close disciple, Uddhava. Just before Krishna left his form and this realm, Uddhava requested a special teaching for the worldly, desire ridden majority of humanity. That section (skandha XI, ch. 7-29) is called the Uddhava Gita, here are some excerpts:
The Lord said :
19. It is well known that persons who clearly discern by themselves, without a guru, the true nature of the world, lift themselves by self-effort and become free from longings for worldly pleasures.
20. The Atman within is the real guru and guide of oneself, especially in the case of humans; for one can arrive at what is good for one by using direct perception and inference.
21. It is in human life that people of mature judgement who are competent in the Paths of Sankhya and Yoga, clearly realize me along with all my powers.
22. Many types of forms have been created by me. Out of them the human form is the dearest to me.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:12 pm

An Avadhuta is wandering yogi adept. This one, Dattatreya, tells what he has learned from Nature:
The man of steady intellect should not, even though oppressed by creatures that are themselves under the sway of destiny, swerve from his path, being conversant with this fact. This is one trait I have learnt from the earth.
The good man should also learn from the earth's water, trees and vegetation how one should always direct one’s entire actions to the good of others and one’s very birth should be absolutely for the sake of others.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:11 pm

The sage should be satisfied with merely
ministering to the vital functions and not with things
pleasing to the senses, so that knowledge may not be
destroyed and the mind and speech frittered away.

The Yogi, moving amid sense-objects possessed
of diverse characters, should not be attached
to them, keeping his mind absolutely free from their
virtues and shortcomings, like the wind.

Even though entering material bodies on
earth and associating with their attributes, the Yogi
with his vision always on the Self, is not affected by
those attributes, like the wind by odors.

Even though living in the body, the sage,
through his identity with the Self, should reflect on
the unity, non-attachment, and space-like trait of the
omnipresent Atman, which runs as a substratum
through all movable and immovable things.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:25 pm

As water is sweet and pure, so is Atman, the Divine Self. Man should manifest sweetness and purity in his conduct. I have therefore taken water as one of my Gurus.

The wind blows everywhere, over the flower-beds, deserts, marshes, palaces and prisons, without being attached to any of them, without preference or dislike. So, I, an Avadhut, go everywhere, scattering my blessings of peace, without being attached to anyone. My Guru, the wind, has taught me this lesson.

In the all-pervading space there exist clouds, stars, planets, dust-storms, and so on, but it is not touched by any of them. So is Atman, which, pervading all bodies of men and animals, of saints, sages, kings, madmen, sinners, and paupers, is untainted by any of them. So do I feel, having learned this lesson from space, my Guru.”