Altruism

Mindfulness practice, corporate mindfulness, modern trends, skepticism of rebirth and other religious doctrines, secular expressions and views of Dharma Paths
Nicholas

Altruism

Post by Nicholas » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:27 pm

It is possible for some folks to be altruistic who deny karma, rebirth, god or gods, humans having a soul etc. In short, convinced secular atheists.

This 2015 large book by a Buddhist monk, Matthieu Ricard is, or will become, a bible for such folks.

There are a great deal of reasons given (in 700 + pages) to live selflessly, or at least live more simply.

It is titled Altruism: the Power of Compassion, based on the first French edition Plaidoyer pour l’altruisme published in 2013.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha

Nicholas

Re: Altruism

Post by Nicholas » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:36 pm

An excerpt:
Valuing the other and being concerned about his situation are two essential components to altruism. When
this attitude prevails in us, it manifests itself in the form of benevolence toward others, and it is translated
into an open-mindedness and a willingness to take care of them.
When we observe that the other has a particular need or desire whose satisfaction will enable him to
avoid suffering or to experience well-being, empathy first makes us become aware of this need. Then,
concern for the other gives rise to a desire to help satisfy that need. On the other hand, if we grant little
value to the other, we will be indifferent to him: we will ignore his needs; perhaps we will not even
notice them.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha

tkp67

Re: Altruism

Post by tkp67 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:26 am

I have met the rare person who values humanity for humanity's sake alone and belief is just that.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I think this is part of "inheritance" of pure mind and pure heart as he is an exemplary person by nature. I believe he understands it on some level but not one that is accessible so it is hard for him to understand why this isn't innate in all people.

I think it could be understood as a type of cognitive bias and I would not doubt that it is a dynamic shared in allegory through out many teachings. I think it can be seen in nature, altruism, as a means to preserve life. I think of a mother animal sacrificing self for child and ask myself is this aspect of our nature an aspect of all nature?

My observations and contemplation have me believe as much.