Walking Meditation

TexasBuddhist

Walking Meditation

Post by TexasBuddhist » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:57 pm

As far as I know, walking meditation is going for a walk in the woods to tune in with nature and your surroundings.

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Walking Meditation

Post by DNS » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:11 pm

No, walking meditation can be done any where, in a meditation hall, around your neighborhood, just about any where. It is mindfulness in action, mindfulness while walking.

lobster

Post by lobster » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:16 pm

TexasBuddhist wrote:As far as I know, walking meditation is going for a walk in the woods to tune in with nature and your surroundings.
Hello :hello:

That can be a little New Agey or just being mindful. :heart:

Walking meditation in Buddhism and Tai Chi tends to be a very slow form of very deliberate aware walking ...
http://opcoa.st/0fs47

TexasBuddhist

Post by TexasBuddhist » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:56 pm

Don't see how that would be New Age

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:43 pm

Some info about Buddhist meditation.

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25363&hilit

Lhamo

Post by Lhamo » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:29 am

I do walking meditation just for he sake of moving my body. Can't sit too much.
The outside is not in focus while meditating, but a natural environment is a better support for meditation than a loud city would be.
ImageImageImageImage

AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:21 pm

lobster wrote:Walking meditation in Buddhism and Tai Chi tends to be a very slow form of very deliberate aware walking ...
I would just like to point out Tai Chi, as you call it, has no walking meditation. You're probably thinking Baguazhang. That's the martial art where you first learn Circle walking. Taijiquanfa, the proper name, relies on the Three Circle stance, plus the start pattern to develop internal force and circulate energy, respectively. Also, as a martial art, it cannot be said that Taijiquanfa is always slow. It starts that way, but this is a secondary method of internal force development. Eventually, it must be fast and sometimes explosive, if combat situations necessitate.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace;
There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge;
There is no Passion, there is Serenity;
There is no Death, there is the Force.

lobster

Post by lobster » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:21 am

AlexMcLeod wrote: I would just like to point out Tai Chi, as you call it, has no walking meditation.
Thanks :anjali: Practically every style I attended practiced tai chi for health and moving meditation (initially) which included walking slowly, perhaps up and down or in a circle. This was usually in the chi kung 'warm up' or 'wind down'. Though ultimately this is for balance and muscle memory, it is no different to practicing sitting meditation to be a better warrior ...

Put 'tai chi walking meditation' into google and you might find something to contemplate ... :hello:

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:34 am

Lhamo wrote:The outside is not in focus while meditating, but a natural environment is a better support for meditation than a loud city would be.
Indeed, and natural sounds can be very meditative. Waves breaking, wind in trees, lovely stuff!

Though where I live there are a lot of noisy argumentative seagulls. :jumping:

Lhamo

Post by Lhamo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:24 pm

Rick O'Shez wrote:...

Though where I live there are a lot of noisy argumentative seagulls. :jumping:
Love that. :) When they mew from far away, you can tell from that sound how vast is the seaside.
ImageImageImageImage