Lacto-ovo vegetarianism
48%
Vegan
8%
Organic vegan
No votes
Raw veganism
No votes
Fruitarianism (fruits, the tops of veggies, i.e., Jain diet)
No votes

Total votes: 25

DNS
Site Admin

Which diet do you follow?

Post by DNS » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:57 pm

Here are some definitions of the poll choices

1. Carnivore - meat only, no other food, no fruit, veggies, grains, or bread, etc. (don't choose this one unless you really only eat meat, no bread, etc.)
2. Omnivore - (almost) anything goes, red meat, poultry, fish, veggies, etc.
3. Flexitarianism - A diet that consists primarily of vegetarian food, but includes occasional exceptions for some kinds of meat.
4. Pescetarianism - A diet that is mainly vegetarian but also includes fish and sometimes other seafood.
5. Pollotarianism - A diet that is mainly vegetarian but also includes poultry.
6. Lacto-ovo vegetarianism is a vegetarian diet that permits consumption of animal products such eggs, milk, and honey.
7. Veganism abstains from all animal flesh and animal products, including milk, honey, and eggs.
8. Organic veganism - only organic vegan foods.
9. Raw veganism is a diet of fresh and uncooked fruit, nuts, seeds, and vegetables.
10. Fruitarianism is a diet of only fruit, nuts, seeds, and other plant matter that can be gathered without harming the plant (many Jains follow this diet).

Vote here in this thread, make any points you wish to make over at the great vegetarian debate here:
http://dharmapaths.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29

johnny dangerous

Re: Which diet do you follow?

Post by johnny dangerous » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 am

Omnivore, I try to limit my meat intake, but I don't feel guilty about having it once a week or so.

I also buy most of my food from a place where it would otherwise get thrown away.

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:52 am

Lacto-ovo vegetarian. Shooting for vegan but I lack the discipline.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

Abhaya

Post by Abhaya » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:07 am

Lacto-ovo vegetarian.

Lhamo

Post by Lhamo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:30 pm

As much vegetable as possible. Can't live without it. Maybe I was a rabbit last life.
ImageImageImageImage

TexasBuddhist

Post by TexasBuddhist » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:40 pm

Omnivore ... Everything that is edible.

lobster

Post by lobster » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:46 am

Oh there is a Buddha menu? :jawdrop:

:popcorn:

Look forward to a diet of dharma ingestion, not nutrition polls ... :hug:

Herb Caplan

Post by Herb Caplan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:29 pm

Lacto-ovo vegetarianism might be the balanced, middle way here. Practically speaking, you don't have to supplement at all if you eat dairy or eggs. For optimal health as a vegan, you need to take a multivitamin everyday (but vitamins in this day and age are so cheap and ubiquitous that this is a moot point).

There is the argument that consuming dairy and eggs contributes to animal slaughter (male baby chickens and male bovines are sent to slaughter). A hypothetical vegetarian world wouldn't have this problem--the non-broiler chickens and non-dairy cows wouldn't be slaughtered because it would make no economic sense. Maybe those animals would be set into the wild, or cows will be bred using pre-existing in-vitro fertilization technologies to only choose the female dairy cows.

In any case, this isn't the world we live in and buying lacto-ovo does finance the same businesses that run the slaughterhouses. But I argue that this isn't really relevant since it's an artifact of the market. If a meat industry corporation merges with a graham cracker company, the money you would purchase those graham crackers with could feasibly end up paying the bills for the slaughterhouse. Would graham crackers also be immoral in this case? You can take certain ethics to the extreme.

This isn't to say that veganism is bad, but I don't think it should be preached at all. It's extreme both philosophically and nutritionally. Also, for a lot of people, veganism tends to have a net negative effect since most practitioners take it as a fad and go back to eating meat.
If you meet the Buddha (blessed be the arahant) on the road, kill him.

AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:35 pm

Right now, I'm an omnivore, tending toward vegetarian, mostly chicken and eggs for meat. I will eat red meat if someone cooked it for me, or the only place to eat on a route is a burger joint. I believe that once I leave this job, however, my Bigu will start up again, and I will be a breatharian.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace;
There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge;
There is no Passion, there is Serenity;
There is no Death, there is the Force.

Poptart

Post by Poptart » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:28 pm

I'm on the see food diet. When I see food I eat it.