Gems of Wisdom

Sharing the Dharma with others, so that they too may benefit from the Buddha's wisdom.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Gems of Wisdom

Post by DNS » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:47 pm

Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

Jesus
Matthew 7:1–5 (NKJV) (Also Luke 6:37–42)

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:12 am

You will say, then, to me, “Do you, who see God, explain to me the appearance of God.” Hear, O man. The appearance of God is ineffable and indescribable, and cannot be seen by eyes of flesh. For in glory He is incomprehensible, in greatness unfathomable, in height inconceivable, in power incomparable, in wisdom unrivalled, in goodness inimitable, in kindness unutterable. For if I say He is Light, I name but His own work; if I call Him Word, I name but His sovereignty; if I call Him Mind, I speak but of His wisdom; if I say He is Spirit, I speak of His breath; if I call Him Wisdom, I speak of His offspring; if I call Him Strength, I speak of His sway; if I call Him Power, I am mentioning His activity; if Providence, I but mention His goodness; if I call Him Kingdom, I but mention His glory; if I call Him Lord, I mention His being judge; if I call Him Judge, I speak of Him as being just; if I call Him Father, I speak of all things as being from Him; if I call Him Fire, I but mention His anger. You will say, then, to me, “Is God angry?” Yes; He is angry with those who act wickedly, but He is good, and kind, and merciful, to those who love and fear Him; for He is a chastener of the godly, and father of the righteous; but he is a judge and punisher of the impious.

Theophilus of Antioch (115-181), To Autolycus, Translated by Marcus Dods, Book I, Chapter 3
And nobody in all of Oz. No Wizard that there is or was.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:19 pm

Hearken with your ears to these best counsels,
Reflect upon them with illumined judgment.
Let each one choose his creed with that freedom of choice each must have at great events.

Zoroaster
Ahunuvaiti Gatha; Yasna 30, 2.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:02 pm

Although you may spend your life killing,
You will not exhaust all your foes.
But if you quell your own anger,
your real enemy will be slain.

Nagarjuna

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:51 pm

Nāgārjuna says,
If worldly activities are done right,
The celestial realms are not far off.
If the worldly and spiritual stairway is climbed,
Then even liberation is at hand.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:52 pm

As Aryadeva says,
Various temporal conventions,
Are designated "spiritual practices."
Thus it appears as if worldly affairs
Are more powerful than the spiritual.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:26 am

The growth of the mind is the widening of the range of consciousness, and … each step forward has been a most painful and laborious achievement.

Carl Jung

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Isn't it a pleasure to study and practice what you have learned? Isn't it also great when friends visit from distant places? If one remains not annoyed when he is not understood by people around him, isn't he a sage?

Confucius

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:31 pm

The blessed truth is that sin and ignorance are only temporary veils of the soul; wisdom and bliss are its essential nature. Although a man may be a sinner for a time, it is impossible for him to be a sinner forever or to suffer everlasting perdition. Made as man is in the image of God, he may seemingly deface that image, through the misuse of free choice, but he cannot destroy the immortal stamp of God in man.
Paramahansa Yogananda, from his Gita commentary

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:51 am

We have adopted in the modern world a sort of a relativistic ethic... Most people can't stand up for their convictions, because the majority of people might not be doing it. See, everybody's not doing it, so it must be wrong. And since everybody is doing it, it must be right. So a sort of numerical interpretation of what's right. But I'm here to say to you this morning that some things are right and some things are wrong. Eternally so, absolutely so. It's wrong to hate. It always has been wrong and it always will be wrong. It's wrong in America, it's wrong in Germany, it's wrong in Russia, it's wrong in China. It was wrong in 2000 B.C., and it's wrong in 1954 A.D. It always has been wrong, and it always will be wrong. It's wrong to throw our lives away in riotous living. No matter if everybody in Detroit is doing it, it's wrong. It always will be wrong, and it always has been wrong. It's wrong in every age and it's wrong in every nation. Some things are right and some things are wrong, no matter if everybody is doing the contrary. Some things in this universe are absolute. The God of the universe has made it so. And so long as we adopt this relative attitude toward right and wrong, we're revolting against the very laws of God himself.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:36 am

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.
The Bible
Proverbs 4:7

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:31 pm

15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If any one loves the world, love for the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world passes away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides for ever.
1 John 2 - (RSV)

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:07 am

The life of Lord Krishna has been misunderstood by many Western commentators. Scriptural allegory is baffling to literal minds. A hilarious blunder by a translator will illustrate this point. The story concerns an inspired medieval saint, the cobbler Ravidas, who sang in the simple terms of his own trade of the spiritual glory hidden in all mankind:

Under the vast vault of blue
Lives the divinity clothed in hide.

One turns aside to hide a smile on hearing the pedestrian interpretation given to Ravidas' poem by a Western writer:

"He afterwards built a hut, set up in it an idol which he made from a hide, and applied himself to its worship."
Paramahansa Yogananda

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:59 am

You must regard other views as so many paths leading to God. You should not feel that your path is the only right path and that other paths are wrong. You mustn't bear malice toward others.
Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa (1836-1886)

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:07 pm

Every condition of life, if attended with virtue, is undisturbed and delightful; but when vice is intermixed, it renders even things that appear sumptuous and magnificent, distasteful and uneasy to the possessor.
Plutarch.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:32 pm

You should keep in mind no names, nor numbers, nor isolated incidents, not even results, but only methods..The method produces numerous results; a few of these will remain in our memory, and as long as they remain few, they are useful to illustrate and to keep alive the rules which order a thousand results.
Emanuel Lasker, world chess champion for 27 years (early 20th century)

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Peace is for the purification of one's mind. Power is for the growth of the community. Having established the community with power, one should then establish supreme peace.
Ramana Maharshi

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:32 pm

It's not enough to be talented. It's not enough to work hard and to study late into the night. You must also become intimately aware of the methods you use to reach your decisions.
Gary Kasparov

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:58 am

But do not ask me where I am going,
As I travel in this limitless world,
Where every step I take is my home.
Dogen

DNS
Site Admin