Gayatri Mantra

Deep meditation practices of Dharma traditions, absorptions, tranquility, asceticism
AlexMcLeod

Re: Gayatri Mantra

Post by AlexMcLeod » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:43 am

No_Mind wrote:I am using the word mantra in its proper accepted sense -- to mean sacred verses from Vedic texts used for worship. Repeating the name of a deity is a very rudimentary way of doing meditation called japa meditation. It is used regarding Ram and Shiva.
.. it is usually accessory/subsidiary practice and it is not a mantra in the way the word mantra is used. It is repetition of a single word so no other thought can enter the mind.
I understand your meaning now.
No_Mind wrote:Why would Om be a secret. The word is used probably a trillion times a day. Any puja has possibly about a hundred Oms inserted into the mantras.
According to several sources I've read, at the time of Rig Veda, Om was referred to, in writing at least, without writing the thing itself. It was also believed that a guru had to initiate someone for Om to be effective. The first indirect reference was Yajur Veda 1:1, where it was referred to as pranava.[/quote]
From time to time Indian gurus have visited the West and tried to present Hinduism stripped of its roots (usually as some form of meditation or other) but never successfully or with any degree of authenticity.
I hadn't noticed until you said something. The local ashram guru won't even call his tradition Hindu. He calls it "an ancient tradition of Himalayan masters". There is one in Tennessee that appears to keep everything. But he calls it traditional yoga, I think. It's hard not to see it as Hindu with the large Siva Linga. And 20ft face of the founder of Yoga. That place is on my bucket list.

But I think you're confusing what it means to be a direct student. I've never met a direct student of a good teacher that was not far more practical-minded than everyone else.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace;
There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge;
There is no Passion, there is Serenity;
There is no Death, there is the Force.

Lucas Oliveira

Re: Gayatri Mantra

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:15 pm

Gayatri Mantra (Savitr) 108 Repetitions

"We meditate on the glory of that Being who has produced this universe; may He enlighten our minds." -Swami Vivekananda

"We meditate on the adorable glory of the radiant sun; may he inspire our intelligence." -Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/