Wisdom of Solomon

Nicholas

Wisdom of Solomon

Post by Nicholas » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:14 am

12 Cherish these warnings of mine, and greedily devour them for your instruction.
13 The bright beacon of wisdom, that never burns dim, how readily seen by eyes that long for it, how open to their search!
14 Nay, she is beforehand with these her suitors, ready to make herself known to them; 15 no toilsome quest is his, that is up betimes to greet her; she is there, waiting at his doors.
16 Why, to entertain the very thought of her is maturity of the mind; one night’s vigil, and all thy cares are over.
17 She goes her rounds, to find men worthy of her favours; in the open street unveils that smiling face of hers, comes deliberately to meet them.
18 The very first step towards wisdom is the desire for discipline, 19 and how should a man care for discipline without loving it, or love it without heeding its laws, or heed its laws without winning immortality, 20 or win immortality without drawing near to God?
21 A royal road it is, then, this desire for wisdom, 22 and you, that have nations under your sway, as you value throne and sceptre, must hold wisdom in honour; how else shall your reign be eternal?
23 (A welcome light hers should be to the world’s princes.)
24 What wisdom is, whence came its birth, I will now make known to you. Not for me to withhold the secret; from first to last I will tell the story of her origin, bring to light all that may be known of her, no word of the truth passed by.
25 Withhold it? Nay, the pale miser that grudges his store was never friend of mine; no such character befits the wise.
26 Wide let wisdom be spread, for the more health of mankind; what better security for a people, than prudence on the throne?
27 Learn, then, who will, the lesson of discernment; at my charges, and to his profit.
Chapter 6 - R. Knox version
Last edited by Nicholas on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha

Nicholas

Re: Wisdom of Solomon

Post by Nicholas » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:18 am

7 Whence, then, did the prudence spring that endowed me? Prayer brought it; to God I prayed, and the spirit of wisdom came upon me.
8 This I valued more than kingdom or throne; I thought nothing of my riches in comparison.
9 There was no jewel I could match with it; all my treasures of gold were a handful of dust beside it, my silver seemed but base clay in presence of it.
10 I treasured wisdom more than health or beauty, preferred her to the light of day; hers is a flame which never dies down.
11 Together with her all blessings came to me; boundless prosperity was her gift.
12 All this I enjoyed, with wisdom to prepare my way for me, never guessing that it all sprang from her.
13 The lessons she taught me are riches honestly won, shared without stint, openly proclaimed; 14 a treasure men will find incorruptible. Those who enjoy it are honoured with God’s friendship, so high a value he sets on her instruction.
15 God’s gift it is, if speech answers to thought of mine, and thought of mine to the message I am entrusted with. Who else can shew wise men the true path, check them when they stray?
16 We are in his hands, we and every word of ours; our prudence in act, our skill in craftsmanship.
17 Sure knowledge he has imparted to me of all that is; how the world is ordered, what influence have the elements, 18 how the months have their beginning, their middle, and their ending, how the sun’s course alters and the seasons revolve, 19 how the years have their cycles, the stars their places.
20 To every living thing its own breed, to every beast its own moods; the winds rage, and men think deep thoughts; the plants keep their several kinds, and each root has its own virtue; 21 all the mysteries and all the surprises of nature were made known to me; wisdom herself taught me, that is the designer of them all.
22 Mind-enlightening is the influence that dwells in her; set high apart; one in its source, yet manifold in its operation; subtle, yet easily understood. An influence quick in movement, inviolable, persuasive, gentle, right-thinking, keen-edged, irresistible, beneficent, 23 kindly, gracious, steadfast, proof against all error and all solicitude. Nothing is beyond its power, nothing hidden from its view, and such capacity has it that it can pervade the minds of all living men; so pure and subtle an essence is thought.
24 Nothing so agile that it can match wisdom for agility; nothing can penetrate this way and that, etherial as she.
25 Steam that ascends from the fervour of divine activity, pure effluence of his glory who is God all-powerful, she feels no passing taint; 26 she, the glow that radiates from eternal light, she, the untarnished mirror of God’s majesty, she, the faithful image of his goodness.
27 Alone, with none to aid her, she is all-powerful; herself ever unchanged, she makes all things new; age after age she finds her way into holy men’s hearts, turning them into friends and spokesmen of God.
28 Her familiars it is, and none other, that God loves.
29 Brightness is hers beyond the brightness of the sun, and all the starry host; match her with light itself, and she outvies it; 30 light must still alternate with darkness, but where is the conspiracy can pull down wisdom from her throne?
Chapter 7

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:55 am

1 Bold is her sweep from world’s end to world’s end, and everywhere her gracious ordering manifests itself.
2 She, from my youth up has been my heart’s true love, my heart’s true quest; she was the bride I longed for, enamoured of her beauty.
3 Was I moved by noble birth? No better claim than hers, who dwells in God’s palace, marked out by the Ruler of the world as his favourite; 4 the mistress of his craftsmanship, the arbiter of his plans.
5 Or should life’s dearest aim be wealth? Why then, who has more wealth at her disposal than wisdom, that turns all to account?
6 Or if sound judgement is man’s business, who else on earth goes to work so skilfully as she?
7 If thy desire be for honest living, man’s excellences are the fruit she labours to produce; temperance and prudence she teaches, justice and fortitude, and what in life avails man more?
8 Or if wide knowledge be thy ambition, she can inform thee of what is past, make conjecture of the future; she is versed in the subtleties of debate, in the reading of all riddles; marvels and portents she can foretell, and what events time or season will bring.
Chapter 8
Last edited by Nicholas on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:05 pm

Now from the NRSV translation, ch. 6:
12 Wisdom is radiant and unfading, and she is easily discerned by those who love her, and is found by those who seek her.
13 She hastens to make herself known to those who desire her.
14 One who rises early to seek her will have no difficulty, for she will be found sitting at the gate.
15 To fix one’s thought on her is perfect understanding, and one who is vigilant on her account will soon be free from care, 16 because she goes about seeking those worthy of her, and she graciously appears to them in their paths, and meets them in every thought.
17 The beginning of wisdom is the most sincere desire for instruction, and concern for instruction is love of her, 18 and love of her is the keeping of her laws, and giving heed to her laws is assurance of immortality, 19 and immortality brings one near to God; 20 so the desire for wisdom leads to a kingdom.
21 Therefore if you delight in thrones and sceptres, O monarchs over the peoples, honour wisdom, so that you may reign for ever.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:18 pm

NSRV ch. 7:
7 Therefore I prayed, and understanding was given me; I called on God, and the spirit of wisdom came to me.
8 I preferred her to sceptres and thrones, and I accounted wealth as nothing in comparison with her.
9 Neither did I liken to her any priceless gem, because all gold is but a little sand in her sight, and silver will be accounted as clay before her.
10 I loved her more than health and beauty, and I chose to have her rather than light, because her radiance never ceases.
11 All good things came to me along with her, and in her hands uncounted wealth.
12 I rejoiced in them all, because wisdom leads them; but I did not know that she was their mother.
13 I learned without guile and I impart without grudging; I do not hide her wealth, 14 for it is an unfailing treasure for mortals; those who get it obtain friendship with God, commended for the gifts that come from instruction.
15 May God grant me to speak with judgement, and to have thoughts worthy of what I have received; for he is the guide even of wisdom and the corrector of the wise.
16 For both we and our words are in his hand, as are all understanding and skill in crafts.
17 For it is he who gave me unerring knowledge of what exists, to know the structure of the world and the activity of the elements; 18 the beginning and end and middle of times, the alternations of the solstices and the changes of the seasons, 19 the cycles of the year and the constellations of the stars, 20 the natures of animals and the tempers of wild animals, the powers of spirits and the thoughts of human beings, the varieties of plants and the virtues of roots; 21 I learned both what is secret and what is manifest, 22 for wisdom, the fashioner of all things, taught me. There is in her a spirit that is intelligent, holy, unique, manifold, subtle, mobile, clear, unpolluted, distinct, invulnerable, loving the good, keen, irresistible, 23 beneficent, humane, steadfast, sure, free from anxiety, all-powerful, overseeing all, and penetrating through all spirits that are intelligent, pure, and altogether subtle.
24 For wisdom is more mobile than any motion; because of her pureness she pervades and penetrates all things.
25 For she is a breath of the power of God, and a pure emanation of the glory of the Almighty; therefore nothing defiled gains entrance into her.
26 For she is a reflection of eternal light, a spotless mirror of the working of God, and an image of his goodness.
27 Although she is but one, she can do all things, and while remaining in herself, she renews all things; in every generation she passes into holy souls and makes them friends of God, and prophets; 28 for God loves nothing so much as the person who lives with wisdom.
29 She is more beautiful than the sun, and excels every constellation of the stars. Compared with the light she is found to be superior, 30 for it is succeeded by the night but against wisdom evil does not prevail.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:28 pm

NSRV ch. 8:
She reaches mightily from one end of the earth to the other, and she orders all things well.
2 I loved her and sought her from my youth; I desired to take her for my bride, and became enamoured of her beauty.
3 She glorifies her noble birth by living with God, and the Lord of all loves her.
4 For she is an initiate in the knowledge of God, and an associate in his works.
5 If riches are a desirable possession in life, what is richer than wisdom, the active cause of all things?
6 And if understanding is effective, who more than she is fashioner of what exists?
7 And if anyone loves righteousness, her labours are virtues; for she teaches self-control and prudence, justice and courage;
nothing in life is more profitable for mortals than these.
8 And if anyone longs for wide experience, she knows the things of old, and infers the things to come; she understands turns of speech and the solutions of riddles; she has foreknowledge of signs and wonders and of the outcome of seasons and times.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:36 am

I had almost forgot about the Wisdom of Solomon book and some of the other extra books, primarily found in the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Canons of scriptures.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:06 pm

One point of interest is Wisdom as She, the Gnostic Sophia also was a She. Even Prajnaparamita or perfection of wisdom is personified in Mahayana Buddhism: