Fasting

Veer-Zinda

Fasting

Post by Veer-Zinda » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:26 am

About three years ago, I decided to try fasting for 12 hours one day during Ramadan, which turned out to be a lot harder than I imagined. At first, I didn't feel that it had been a useful exercise as I ended up fairly cranky at the end of the day. It was only the following day that I realised this was exactly why it had been a useful exercise. I realised just how attached I was, not only to food, but pleasant food as well.

Going without food for 12 hours (which was what I had decided on for my first fast, rather than the 18 hours it is midsummer in the UK) and failing to go without water for longer than 5 hours, when I gave in and sipped at it for the remainder of the time - all of this really brought home to me what I needed to work with.

I've been gradually trying to engage a little more with fasting each Ramadan as a reminder of this, because it's an attachment I'm still working to free myself from.

Have you ever tried fasting? How was the experience for you?

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Fasting

Post by DNS » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:05 am

I generally do the One meal a day program on most days. See:
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3045

It is fairly common among Theravadins, especially monks and nuns. When doing that, one eats all their food, all calories at the lunch hour approx. 11 am to 12 noon. And then one does not eat again until the next day's lunch; which is therefore about a 24 hour fast everyday; that is, there is 24 hours between each meal. The one meal tends to be large though, so it is not that difficult. I find it very helpful and keeps the weight off and my favorite part is that it saves lots of time! There is only one time for food preparation, one time for eating, one time for cleaning; a huge time saver compared to preparing, cooking, eating, cleaning, etc 3 or more times per day.

Veer-Zinda

Post by Veer-Zinda » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:12 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:I generally do the One meal a day program on most days. See:
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3045

It is fairly common among Theravadins, especially monks and nuns. When doing that, one eats all their food, all calories at the lunch hour approx. 11 am to 12 noon. And then one does not eat again until the next day's lunch; which is therefore about a 24 hour fast everyday; that is, there is 24 hours between each meal. The one meal tends to be large though, so it is not that difficult. I find it very helpful and keeps the weight off and my favorite part is that it saves lots of time! There is only one time for food preparation, one time for eating, one time for cleaning; a huge time saver compared to preparing, cooking, eating, cleaning, etc 3 or more times per day.
Wow, that sounds difficult! :jawdrop: Even when I've had a massive meal, I do still get hungry again maybe about 12 hours later at the most, so 24 hours sounds tough! The thirst is the hardest, I find. I assume you drink between meals?

I can certainly see the appeal with reducing the time needed for all the preparation! I'm not a fan of cooking really, so might be checking this programme out myself :clapping: ...If I start training now, I should be a pro by Ramadan! :woohoo:

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:41 pm

Veer-Zinda wrote: Wow, that sounds difficult! :jawdrop: Even when I've had a massive meal, I do still get hungry again maybe about 12 hours later at the most, so 24 hours sounds tough! The thirst is the hardest, I find. I assume you drink between meals?
Yes, there is still drinking allowed of non-caloric drinks like tea and water. I should mention that many also drink fruit juice in the evenings, but I don't do that as that still has calories and is basically food, especially if it is the whole fruit juiced. I drink tea throughout the day and evening (without sugar).
I can certainly see the appeal with reducing the time needed for all the preparation! I'm not a fan of cooking really, so might be checking this programme out myself :clapping: ...If I start training now, I should be a pro by Ramadan! :woohoo:
:thumbsup: :D

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:21 am

Having been porky most of my life, I have started a mild sort of fasting. On full & new moon days, only water or tea. Tomorrow is new moon again, so again I will fast. Not much to show so far, but only been one month. Will try to add all day fasts on the quarter-moon days also and see what happens.

Less sedentary life will help much, I am sure.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha