Sufism

WaterDragon

Re: Sufism

Post by WaterDragon » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:39 pm

Very interesting OP. Could you explain the textual basis for those principles? It doesn't sound like the Koran/Quran. If it is, then an explanation of the interpretation of it would be helpful.

Whenever I've heard about or read about or seen film clips about Sufism, it's always sounded a lot like Buddhism (I realize this is an oversimplification--just stating my impression), which I suppose speaks in part to the mystical, meditative aspect. Doing some research, I found some historical info that said that the founder of Sufism came from a town in Central Asia that bordered on the Buddhist sphere back then.

Iconodule

Post by Iconodule » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:49 pm

It would be impossible to prove that any one person was the founder of Sufism. If you go by their tradition, though, they would typically trace it to Muhammad, or Ali. Most Sufi orders have a lineage they can trace back to these men and their reverence for these saints has at times brought Sufism very close to Shi'ism, that is, when they weren't Shia outright as in the case of the Safaviyyah order.
The ladder that leads to the Kingdom is hidden within you, and is found in your soul. Dive into yourself, and in your soul you will discover the rungs by which you are to ascend. - St. Isaac of Syria

WaterDragon

Post by WaterDragon » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:03 pm

Iconodule wrote:It would be impossible to prove that any one person was the founder of Sufism. If you go by their tradition, though, they would typically trace it to Muhammad, or Ali. Most Sufi orders have a lineage they can trace back to these men and their reverence for these saints has at times brought Sufism very close to Shi'ism, that is, when they weren't Shia outright as in the case of the Safaviyyah order.
Sounds a little like Vajrayana/Tibetan Buddhism.

Iconodule

Post by Iconodule » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:27 pm

There's a parallel to be found there of esoteric transmission and the requirement of a spiritual guide, though in the case of Sufism the influence probably comes much more from Christian monasticism and the tradition of elders/ spiritual fathers.
The ladder that leads to the Kingdom is hidden within you, and is found in your soul. Dive into yourself, and in your soul you will discover the rungs by which you are to ascend. - St. Isaac of Syria