Ramadhan Kareem!

Khalil Bodhi

Ramadhan Kareem!

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:34 am

Hi everyone,

I'm currently fasting for Ramadhan as I have done since I married a Muslim girl a decade ago. In terms of belief, our household is generally Buddhist but we're culturally Muslim if that makes any sense. I've always found Ramadhan to be a great spiritual practice and was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences to share.

Best wishes,

KB
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Ramadhan Kareem!

Post by DNS » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:02 pm

Cool. :thumbsup:

Good luck with the fasting, hope it goes well.

I spent 2 years in Israel during my high school years. I had a Muslim friend there. One year I fasted with him, out of solidarity. It felt very good and healthy. It might have helped with my ease toward the Buddhist practice I do now on at least 5-6 days per week of eating just one large meal around lunch time.

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:43 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:Cool. :thumbsup:

Good luck with the fasting, hope it goes well.

I spent 2 years in Israel during my high school years. I had a Muslim friend there. One year I fasted with him, out of solidarity. It felt very good and healthy. It might have helped with my ease toward the Buddhist practice I do now on at least 5-6 days per week of eating just one large meal around lunch time.
Thanks David! The one sessioner's rule is another practice I'd like to take up when the kids are a little older.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

Iconodule

Post by Iconodule » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:52 pm

I was in Istanbul during Ramadan a few years ago, and it was a beautiful experience to see everyone coming out at night and having a good time. It was a very friendly and festive atmosphere. I didn't participate in the fast myself, mainly because my own tradition has its own fasting rules that are hard enough for me to maintain.
The ladder that leads to the Kingdom is hidden within you, and is found in your soul. Dive into yourself, and in your soul you will discover the rungs by which you are to ascend. - St. Isaac of Syria

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:57 pm

Iconodule wrote:I was in Istanbul during Ramadan a few years ago, and it was a beautiful experience to see everyone coming out at night and having a good time. It was a very friendly and festive atmosphere. I didn't participate in the fast myself, mainly because my own tradition has its own fasting rules that are hard enough for me to maintain.
:goodpost:
-Dhp. 183

My Practice Blog:

John Reeves

Post by John Reeves » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:36 am

Hi Khalil Bodhi, I am not familiar with the fasting dates and rules around Ramadhan, could you tell me a little more please?

Lhamo

Post by Lhamo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:35 am

Khalil Bodhi wrote:... was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences to share.
I was used to a regular one-day-fasting twice or four times a month. This was from the Hindu culture and also in Buddhism there are fasting days one can observe. But right now I don't do it.
The most intense fasting experience for me was the Avalokiteshvara Fasting Ritual, where we spend several days with a certain fasting schedule and intense recitations. I think, that ritual is some hundred years old. Feels like getting in touch with Avalokiteshvara and the former generations of practicioners.

Always a good experience.
ImageImageImageImage

Iconodule

Post by Iconodule » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:40 am

I think you are talking about the nyungne. I did one of those and it was quite intense.
The ladder that leads to the Kingdom is hidden within you, and is found in your soul. Dive into yourself, and in your soul you will discover the rungs by which you are to ascend. - St. Isaac of Syria

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:31 pm

if anyone else has had similar experiences to share.
The greatest experience I have in Ramadhan is looking at the sky to see the crescent moon and the star, not to mention about the enjoying fresh dates you can buy in the shops.

https://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl ... mrc&uact=8

Lhamo

Post by Lhamo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:34 pm

Iconodule wrote:I think you are talking about the nyungne. I did one of those and it was quite intense.
Yes, I'm always unsure how to write it.
Intense, yes, but everybody survived with a happy shining face. Our last breakfast before parting was an extremely joyous uplifting sacred event. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Iconodule

Post by Iconodule » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:24 pm

Lhamo wrote:
Iconodule wrote:I think you are talking about the nyungne. I did one of those and it was quite intense.
Yes, I'm always unsure how to write it.
Intense, yes, but everybody survived with a happy shining face. Our last breakfast before parting was an extremely joyous uplifting sacred event. :)
I was definitely glad I did it, but it was tough for me because the center I attended was almost entirely Chinese practitioners and the instruction and texts were all in Chinese. I tried to follow along with my broken Mandarin but I couldn't really get some of the more complex visualizations, so I didn't benefit as much as I could have. Still, an experience I won't forget.