TeaCart

We would love to meet you... say hello here.
TeaCart

TeaCart

Post by TeaCart » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:17 am

Hi, my name is Michael. I've adopted the nic of TeaCart. I've used others in other places, but this new one amuses me and, weirdly, seems just right.

I've been a Buddhist for 20 years. Most of my Buddhist thought has been in the Theravada tradition (so to speak -- I mostly ignore tradition in preference to the pali texts). These last few years, however, have been spent in the Salvation Army as a congregant and volunteer. First, my wife dragged us there. Then, it turns out that we fit well. I fit well. Even though she's left, I remain. And I'm often inspired by the "can do, let's get something done," attitude that they have to the poor and marginalized. Theologically, I find the gospel of Mark to be moving (Luke and Matthew, too. Not so much John). It seems to me that Jesus was a mover and a shaker when it came to self sacrifice for the poor. He could have had it all, but he served even when death was the promised consequence.

I can get behind that.

Lately, I've been thinking about how to bridge the world of Dhamma that I most revere, and the Christian world of service. I want to find a thought world that allows me to harmonize these very different belief systems into something that works for me. Hence, I'm beginning to think I have to look to the mahayana school for some inspiration.

And that, my friends, is a longish introduction.

DNS
Site Admin

Re: TeaCart

Post by DNS » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:38 pm

Welcome to DP!

:hello:

DNS
Site Admin

Re: TeaCart

Post by DNS » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:39 pm

TeaCart wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:17 am
Lately, I've been thinking about how to bridge the world of Dhamma that I most revere, and the Christian world of service. I want to find a thought world that allows me to harmonize these very different belief systems into something that works for me. Hence, I'm beginning to think I have to look to the mahayana school for some inspiration.
You'd probably like the Thich Nhat Hanh, engaged buddhism tradition.

https://plumvillage.org/about/thich-nhat-hanh/