no Platonic or Zoroastrian traditions?

How can we improve this forum? Do you require any assistance?
Nicholas

no Platonic or Zoroastrian traditions?

Post by Nicholas » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:32 am

One major path missing is the Platonic, Neo-Platonic, Stoic, Pythagorean, et al - in short the Greek philosophers. Their influence was powerful on Christianity for a 1500 years or so and still bubbles up nowadays.

Another one missing is Zoroastrianism.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha

Nicholas

Re: no Platonic or Zoroastrian traditions?

Post by Nicholas » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:16 pm

Just bumping this up in hopes, that now with more workers on this site, some rearranging of posts and topics, even adding missing topics etc. will occur.

caodemarte

Post by caodemarte » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:47 am

Just a note that Zoroastrianism is still practiced in India and there are even a some families in Sri Lanka. I am not sure of the number of Zoroasterians in Iran, although the current regime often proscribes its practices and decries its influence.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:09 am

I have developed an amateur interest in Platonism and Greek Philosophy. I say 'amateur' because the requirements to understand it are actually very steep. But I have a real affinity for Platonism, the forms, the Ideas, the nature of rationality, and so on. Really it is a unique cultural heritage. Nowadays Western philosophy has been practically ruined by materialism, although there are a few die-hards around still. But materialism can never even begin to understand the first thing about Plato, to even begin to understand it, you would have to abandon materialism first.

Here's a really good lecture by a current expert on Platonism. It is dense but if you're patient it is well worth listening too. (Also the passage starting at around 38:40 is a really good classical Arisotelean criticism of materialism - 'if materialism were true, you could not think.')

phpBB [video]

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:18 pm

Yes, Lloyd Gerson's (U. of Toronto) writings on the Greeks are valuable!