Abrahamic contemplative traditions forum.

How can we improve this forum? Do you require any assistance?
SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:32 am

I think it is a good idea to have a separate forums for Christianity, Islam and Judaism, considering the fact they are the largest religious groups.

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Abrahamic contemplative traditions forum.

Post by DNS » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:48 am

I have received this suggestion from a couple of other people too (privately), so went ahead and made this addition.

Iconodule

Post by Iconodule » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:24 pm

Just one more suggestion- and I promise I won't throw a tantrum if you disagree- but Gnosticism should probably go under its own section or be d merged into a "Western Esotericism" section alongside Hermeticism, alchemy, Rosicrucianism, etc. Gnosticism is not inherently Christian. It is really a development of Platonism and other Hellenistic philosophies, which often adopted a Christian veneer but could also crop up in non-Christian guises (e.g. Mandaeans, Alawites).

Christian mysticism proper manifests in the spirituality of the desert fathers, the Carmelite spirituality of Teresa of Avila, the hesychasts of Mount Athos, etc.
The ladder that leads to the Kingdom is hidden within you, and is found in your soul. Dive into yourself, and in your soul you will discover the rungs by which you are to ascend. - St. Isaac of Syria

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:46 pm

I don't disagree, it is just that we don't want to clutter the forum up with too many sub-forums here at the beginning, but certainly if there is enough interest and enough variety of topics, that is something that could be done too.

Nicholas

Re: Theosophic contemplative traditions forum.

Post by Nicholas » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:32 pm

Another way to include the Gnostic & Hermetic threads (who had no connection with Abraham) within the three theistic traditions is to change the first word of the title to 'Theosophic..." or 'Esoteric..." or 'Pansophic'...

This Wiki article shows that 'theosophy' (small t) was not invented by Blavatsky:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theosophy
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha

Nicholas

Re: Contemplative traditions forum.

Post by Nicholas » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Changing this forum and the subtitles to allow Gnostic, Hermetic, Platonic, and other Greeks has not happened yet. Being impatient - I will just put Greek based traditions under the misnomer 'Abrahamic' for now.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha