King Ashoka

A place to discuss Buddhism in general, Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, Dzogchen, etc.
DNS
Site Admin

King Ashoka

Post by DNS »

DNS
Site Admin

Re: King Ashoka

Post by DNS »

Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

Three insightful sayings by King Ashoka which I find inspiring....

Concord is virtue.

To do good is difficult. One who does good first does something hard to do. I have done many good deeds, and, if my sons, grandsons and their descendants up to the end of the world act in like manner, they too will do much good. But whoever amongst them neglects this, they will do evil. Truly, it is easy to do evil.

No society can prosper if it aims at making things easier-instead it should aim at making people stronger.

The second saying shows that doing evil is easy, but doing good is difficult. Imo, this is because of the ego's tendency to incline to the negative. It thus takes a certain austerity to overcome the egoic tendency for negativity and focus on the positive.

I think austerity is also needed for maintaining a good concordant relationship overlooking the negatives and being patient with faults. Similarly austerity is also needed for gaining strength which enables all hard things to be rendered easy.

Anyway, these are my thoughts on the above sayings of Ashoka. :namaste:
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

The Buddhist world needs a new King Ashoka.
The maintenance and propagation of Buddhism needs back up from those who are able to do so. Since there is no one single individual capable of doing this, it is important that Buddhist nation states come up with a plan to help implant their beneficial monastic lineages in the West as well as the supplying of clean funds for the advancement of Buddhism in the West as well as consolidating Buddhism in Eastern nations which have Buddhist majorities.
Ajay0

Post by Ajay0 »

Imho, I think we need more Buddhas than Buddhists and Ashokas.

A Buddha on his own can do the work of a hundred noble kings.

In my own region, there lived a female enlightened master. This region in comparison to other regions have a very low crime rate and low incidence of natural disasters. One can still feel the positive vibes over this place and it is now a tourist site as well.

The immense positive vibes stemming from a Buddha can induce people to meditation and virtuous conduct easily, reduce nature-related issues, and bring auspiciousness and prosperity.

A large number of Buddhas spanning geographic zones and nations can help bring about the Golden Age of mankind.

King Ashoka and the buddhists also came from the efforts of Gautama Buddha.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the mind. ~ Rajini Menon