Therigatha

the way of the Elders
DNS
Site Admin

Therigatha

Post by DNS » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:32 am

The Theragàthà and the Therigàthà are two books in the Khuddaka Nikaya, the fifth part of the Sutta Pitaka, the first division of the Tipitaka, the sacred scriptures of Buddhism.

Thera is a title given to someone who has been a monk for more than ten years and means ‘elder.’ The equivalent title for a nun is theri. The word gàthà means ‘a verse.’ Both of these works contain poems composed by the Buddha’s disciples. There are 263 poems in the Theragàthà and seventy three in the Therigàthà, many of considerable literary merit. Some celebrate the joy of enlightenment, others the beauty of the forest and yet others praise the compassion of the Buddha. The Therigàthà contains the earliest corpus of poetry from India composed by women.

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Therigatha

Post by DNS » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:33 am

Sleep, little theri, sleep comfortably, wrapped in the robe that you've made, for your passion is stilled like a pot of pickled greens boiled dry.

Thi 1.1 An Anonymous Bhikkhuni

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:30 pm

So freed! So thoroughly freed am I! from three crooked things set free: from mortar, pestle, & crooked old husband. Having uprooted the craving that leads to becoming, I'm set free from aging & death.

Thi 1.11 Mutta

"crooked old husband" :D

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:56 pm

Dhamma Wandering for alms weak, leaning on a staff, with trembling limbs I fell down right there on the ground. Seeing the drawbacks of the body, my mind was then set free.
Therigatha 1.17

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:24 pm

Punna, grow full with good qualities like the moon on the fifteenth day. With discernment at total fullness, burst the mass of darkness.

Thi 1.3

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:32 am

Black was my hair the color of bees & curled at the tips; with age, it looked like coarse hemp. The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change.

Fragrant, like a perfumed basket filled with flowers: With age it smelled musty, like animal fur.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. Thick & lush, like a well-tended grove, made splendid, the tips elaborate with comb & pin. With age, it grew thin & bare here & there.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. Adorned with gold & delicate pins, it was splendid, ornamented with braids. Now, with age, that head has gone bald.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. Curved, as if well-drawn by an artist, my brows were once splendid. With age, they droop down in folds.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. Radiant, brilliant like jewels, my eyes: With age, they're no longer splendid.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. Like a delicate peak, my nose was splendid in the prime of my youth. With age, it's like a long pepper.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. Like bracelets well-fashioned, well-finished my ears were once splendid. With age, they droop down in folds.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. Like plaintain buds in their color, my teeth were once splendid. With age, they're broken & yellowed.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. Like that of a cuckoo in the dense jungle, flitting through deep forest thickets: sweet was the tone of my voice. With age, it cracks here & there.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. Smooth like a conch shell well-polished my neck was once splendid. With age, it's broken down, bent.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. Like rounded door-bars both of them my arms were once splendid. With age, they're like dried up patali trees.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. Adorned with gold & delicate rings, my hands were once splendid. With age, they're like onions & tubers.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. Swelling, round, firm, & high, both my breasts were once splendid. In the drought of old age, they dangle like empty old water bags.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. Like a sheet of gold, well-burnished, my body was splendid. Now it's covered with very fine wrinkles.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. Smooth in their lines, like an elephant's trunk, both my thighs were once splendid. With age, they're like knotted bamboo.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. Adorned with gold & delicate anklets, my calves were once splendid. With age, they're like sesame sticks.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. As if they were stuffed with soft cotton, both my feet were once splendid. With age, they're shriveled & cracked.

The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change. Such was this physical heap, now: A house with its plaster all fallen off. The truth of the Truth-speaker's words doesn't change.
Thi 13.1 Ambapali

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:19 pm

I, having caused much trouble like this because of sensuality, will not return to it, as I always delight in Unbinding. Doing battle with sensuality in hopes of the cool state, I will stay heedful, finding delight in the ending of fetters. I follow the path — eightfold, straight, griefless, stainless, secure over which great seers have crossed." See this Subha, the goldsmith's daughter, standing firm in the Dhamma, entering the imperturbable state,[1] doing jhana at the foot of a tree.

This is the eighth day of her going forth confident, beautiful through the true Dhamma. Trained by Uppalavanna, she's a three-knowledge woman who's left death behind; freed from slavery, debtless, a nun with developed faculties,[2] set loose from all ties, her task done, fermentation- free. Sakka, lord of beings, with his community of devas, approaching her through supranormal power, pays homage to her: Subha the goldsmith's daughter.

Therigatha 13.5

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:45 pm

So freed! So freed! So thoroughly freed am I from my pestle, my shameless husband & his sun-shade making, my moldy old pot with its water-snake smell. Aversion & passion I cut with a chop. Having come to the foot of a tree, I meditate, absorbed in the bliss: "What bliss!"
Thi 2.3 Sumangala's Mother

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:06 am

"'Jiva, my daughter,' you cry in the woods. Come to your senses, Ubbiri. 84,000 all named Jiva have been burned in that charnel ground. For which of them do you grieve?" Pulling out completely out the arrow so hard to see, embedded in my heart, he expelled from me overcome with grief the grief over my daughter. Today with arrow removed, without hunger, entirely Unbound to the Buddha, Dhamma, & Sangha I go, for refuge to the Sage.
Thi 3 Ubbiri

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:43 pm

Four times, five, I ran amok from my dwelling, having gained no peace of awareness, my thoughts out of control. So I went to a trustworthy nun. She taught me the Dhamma: aggregates, sense spheres, & elements. Hearing the Dhamma, I did as she said. For seven days I sat in one spot, absorbed in rapture & bliss. On the eighth, I stretched out my legs, having burst the mass of darkness.
Thi 3.2 Uttama

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:01 pm

Coming from noonday-rest on Vulture's Peak I saw an elephant, his bathing done, Forth from the river issue. And a man, Taking his goad, bade the great creature stretch His foot: Obeyed, and to his neck the driver sprang. I saw the untamed tamed, I saw him bent To master's will; and making inwardly, I passed into the forest depths and there I' faith I trained and ordered all my heart.

Thi 3.4 Dantika and the Elephant

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:54 pm

Son of the Buddha and his heir is he, Great Kassapa his mind serene, collected. Vision of previous lives is his, Heaven and hell he penetrates. The ceasing of rebirth he has obtained, And supernormal knowledge he has mastered. With these three knowledges possessed by him He is a brahman true, of threefold knowledge. So has she, too, Bhadda the Kapilani, gained for herself The threefold knowledge and has vanquished death. Having bravely vanquished Mara and his host, It is the last formation of a body that she bears. Seeing the world's deep misery, we both went forth And are now both free of cankers, with well-tamed minds. Cooled of passions, we have found deliverance; Cooled of passions, we have found our freedom.
Thi 4.1 Bhadda Kapilani

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:38 am

With plows the fields are plowed; With seed the earth is sown; Thus wives and children feed; So young men win their wealth. Then why do I, of virtue pure, Doing the Master's Teaching, Not lazy nor proud, Nibbana not attain? Having washed my feet, Then I watched that water, Noticing the foot-water Flowing from high to low. With that the mind was calmed Just as a noble, thoroughbred horse. Having taken my lamp, I went into my hut, Inspected the sleeping-place, Then sat upon the couch. Having taken a pin, I pushed the wick right down, and Just as the lamp went out, So all delusion of the heart went too.

Thi 5.10 Patacara

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:29 pm

Having taken flails, Young men thresh the corn. Thus wives and children feed; So young men win their wealth. So likewise as to Buddha's Teachings, From doing which there's no remorse. Quickly cleanse your feet And sit you down alone. Devote yourselves to calm of mind, And thus do Buddha's Teachings. When they heard these words Patacara's instructions, Having washed their feet, They sat down, each one alone, Devoted themselves to calm of mind. And thus followed the Buddha's Teachings. In the night's first watch Past births were remembered; In the middle watch of the night The eye divine was purified; In the night's last watch They rent asunder the mass of gloom. Having risen, they bowed at her feet, Her instructions having done; We shall live revering you Like the thirty gods to Indra, Undefeated in war. We are with triple knowledge true And gone are all the taints.
Thi 5.11 Patacara's Thirty Students

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:57 pm

Before, I had fallen on evil times: no husband, no children, no relatives, friends, no way to obtain clothing & food. So, taking a staff & bowl in hand, begging for alms from house to house, feverish from the cold & heat, I wandered for seven full years. Then seeing a nun obtaining food & drink, I approached her & said: "Let me go forth into homelessness." She, Patacara, from sympathy, let me go forth; then, exhorting me, urged me on to the highest goal. Hearing her words, I did her bidding. Her exhortation was not in vain. I'm a three-knowledge woman, fermentation-free.
Thi 5.12 Canda

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:39 pm

Intoxicated with my complexion figure, beauty, & fame; haughty with youth, I despised other women. Adorning this body embellished to delude foolish men, I stood at the door to the brothel: a hunter with snare laid out. I showed off my ornaments, and revealed many a private part. I worked my manifold magic, laughing out loud at the crowd. Today, wrapped in a double cloak, my head shaven, having wandered for alms, I sit at the foot of a tree and attain the state of no-thought. All ties human & divine have been cut. Having cast off all effluents, cooled am I, unbound.

Thi 5.2 Vimala

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:59 am

Sick, impure and foul as well, Nanda, see this congeries With the unlovely, develop mind Well-composed to singleness. As is that, thus will this likewise be. Exhaling foulness, evil smells, A thing it is enjoyed by fools. Diligently considering it, By day and night thus seeing it, With my own wisdom having seen, I turned away, dispassionate. With my diligence, carefully I examined the body And saw this as it really is Both within and without. Unlusting and dispassionate Within this body then was I: By diligence from fetters freed, Peaceful was I and quite cool.
Thi 5.4 Nanda

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Going forth through conviction from home into homelessness, I wandered this place & that, greedy for gain & offerings. Missing out on the foremost goal, I pursued a lowly one. Under the sway of defilements I surrendered the goal of the contemplative life. Then, sitting in my dwelling, I suddenly came to my senses: I'm following a miserable path. I'm under the sway of craving. Next to nothing, my life crushed by aging & illness. Before the body breaks apart, I have no time for heedlessness. After watching, as it actually was, the rising & falling of aggregates, I stood up with mind released, the Awakened One's bidding done.

Thi 5.6 Mittakali

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:36 pm

Ten children having borne from this bodily congeries, so I, now weak and old, approached a Bhikkhuni. The Dhamma she taught me groups, sense-spheres and elements, I heard the Dhamma, and having shaved my hair, went forth. While still a probationer I purified the eye divine; Former lives I knew, and where I lived before. One-pointed, well-composed, the Signless I developed, immediately released, unclinging now and quenched! Knowing the five groups well, they still exist; but with their roots removed. Unmovable am I, on a stable basis sure, now rebirth is no more.
Thi 5.8 Sona

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:46 pm

I traveled before in a single cloth, With shaven head, covered in dust, Thinking of faults in the faultless, While in the faulty seeing no faults. When done was the day's abiding, I went to Mount Vulture Peak And saw the stainless Buddha By the Order of Bhikkhus revered. Then before Him my hands in añjali Humbly, I bowed down on my knees. "Come, Bhadda," He said to me: And thus was I ordained. Debt-free, I traveled for fifty years In Anga, Magadha and Vajji, In Kasi and Kosala, too, Living on the alms of the land. That lay-supporter wise man indeed May many merits accrue to him! Who gave a robe to Bhadda for Free of all ties is she.
Thi 5.9 Bhadda Kundalakesa