Therigatha

the way of the Elders
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Therigatha

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 3:57 pm

"My son!" you weep, for one whose path You do not really comprehend Whether he's coming or going. From where has that son of yours come? And yet for one whose path you know... For him you do not grieve at all Whether he's coming or going. Such is the nature of creatures. Uninvited, he came from there; Unpermitted, he's gone from here. And having come from who knows where, He lived for but a few short days. But though gone from here by one (path), He goes from there by another. Departed, with a human form, He will go flowing on and on. As he has come, so has he gone. What is there here to grieve about? My thorn, indeed, has been removed! Buried in the heart, so hard to see. That grief which had overcome me Grief for my son has been dispelled. Today the thorn has been removed. Without hunger, I've become quenched. To Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha, I go to the sage for refuge.
Thi 6.1 Pancasata Patacara

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 3:58 pm

Overwhelmed with grief for my son naked, demented, my hair dishevelled my mind deranged I went about here & there, living along the side of the road, in cemeteries & heaps of trash, for three full years, afflicted with hunger & thirst. Then I saw the One Well-gone, gone to the city of Mithila: tamer of those untamed, Self-Awakened, with nothing to fear from anything, anywhere. Regaining my mind, paying him homage, I sat myself down. He, Gotama, from sympathy taught me the Dhamma. Hearing his Dhamma, I went forth into homelessness. Applying myself to the Teacher's words, I realized the state of auspicious bliss. All griefs have been cut off, abandoned, brought to this end, for I've comprehended the grounds from which griefs come into play.
Thi 6.2 Vasitthi the Madwoman

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 3:59 pm

With subtle veils adorned, Garlands and sandal-wood bedecked, Covered all over with ornaments, Surrounded by my servants, Taking with us food and drink, Eatables of many kinds, Setting off from the house, To the forest grove we took it all. Having enjoyed and sported there, We turned our feet to home But on the way I saw and entered Near Saketa, a monastery. Seeing the Light of the World I drew near, bowed down to Him; Out of compassion the Seeing One Then taught me Dhamma there. Hearing the words of the Great Sage, I penetrated Truth: The Dhamma passionless, I touched the Dhamma of Deathlessness. When the True Dhamma had been known, I went forth to the homeless life; The three True Knowledges are attained, Not empty the Buddha's Teaching!
Thi 6.4 The Verses of Final Knowledge of Bhikkhuni Sujata

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 4:00 pm

Born in a high-ranking family with much property, great wealth, consummate in complexion & figure, I was the daughter of Majjha, the treasurer. Sons of kings sought for me, sons of rich merchants longed for me. One of them sent my father a messenger, saying, "Give me Anopama. I will give in return eight times her weight in jewels & gold." But I, having seen the One Self-awakened, unsurpassed, excelling the world, paid homage to his feet, sat down to one side. He, Gotama, from sympathy, taught me the Dhamma. And as I sat in that very seat, I attained the third fruit [of non-return.] Then I cut off my hair, and went forth into homelessness. Today is the seventh day since I made craving wither away.

Thi 6.5 Anopama, the Millionaire's Daughter

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 4:01 pm

Buddha! Hero! Praise be to you! You foremost among all beings! You who have released me from pain, And so many other beings too. All suffering has been understood. The source of craving has withered. Cessation has been touched by me On the noble eight-fold path. I've been mother and son before; And father, brother grandmother too. Not understanding what was real, I flowed-on without finding [peace]. But now I've seen the Blessed One! This is my last compounded form. The on-flowing of birth has expired. There's no more re-becoming now. See the gathering of followers: Putting forth effort, self controlled, Always with strong resolution This is how to honor the Buddhas! Surely for the good of so many Did Maya give birth to Gotama, Who bursts asunder the mass of pain Of those stricken by sickness and death.
Thi 6.6 Maha Pajapati (Gotami) Theri

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 4:02 pm

Gutta, devote yourself to the goal for which you went forth, having discarded [hope] for a dear son of your own. Don't fall under the sway of the mind. Hoodwinked by mind, beings in love with Mara's realm, roam through the many-birth wandering-on, unknowing. Abandoning these lower fetters, nun, sensual desire, ill will, self-identity views, grasping at precepts & practices, and uncertainty as the fifth you won't come to this again. Forsaking passion, conceit, ignorance, & restlessness, cutting through [all] the fetters you will make an end of suffering & stress. Discarding birth & wandering-on, comprehending further becoming, free from hunger in the right here & now you will go about totally calmed.
Thi 6.7 Gutta

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 4:03 pm

[Rohini's father:]

You go to sleep saying, "Contemplatives." You wake up, "Contemplatives." You praise only contemplatives. No doubt you will be a contemplative. Abundant food & drink you give to contemplatives. Now, Rohini, I ask you: Why do you hold contemplatives dear? They don't like to work, they're lazy, living off what's given by others, full of hankerings, wanting delicious things: Why do you hold contemplatives dear?

[Rohini:]

For a long time, father, you've quizzed me about contemplatives. I'll praise to you their discernment, virtue, endeavor. They do like to work, they're not lazy. They do the best work: They abandon passion & anger. That's why I hold contemplatives dear. They rid themselves of the three evil roots,[1] doing pure actions. All their evil's abandoned. That's why I hold contemplatives dear. Clean their bodily action, so is their verbal action. Clean their mental action: That's why I hold contemplatives dear. Spotless, like mother of pearl, pure within & without, perfect in clear qualities: That's why I hold contemplatives dear. Learned, maintaining the Dhamma, noble, living the Dhamma, they teach the goal & the Dhamma: That's why I hold contemplatives dear. Learned, maintaining the Dhamma, noble, living the Dhamma, with unified minds & mindful: That's why I hold contemplatives dear. Traveling far, mindful, giving counsel unruffled, they discern the end of suffering: That's why I hold contemplatives dear. When they leave any village they don't turn to look back at anything. How free from concern they go! That's why I hold contemplatives dear. They don't store in a granary, pot, or basket. They hunt [only] for what's already cooked: That's why I hold contemplatives dear. They take neither silver, nor gold, nor money. They live off whatever is present: That's why I hold contemplatives dear. Having gone forth from different families & from different countries, still they hold one another dear: That's why I hold contemplatives dear.

Rohini, truly for our well-being were you born in our family. You have conviction in the Buddha & Dhamma, and strong respect for the Sangha. You truly discern this field of merit unexcelled. These contemplatives will receive our offering, too, for here we'll set up our abundant sacrifice.

[Rohini:]

If you're afraid of pain, if you dislike pain, go to the Buddha for refuge, go to the Dhamma & Sangha. Take on the precepts: That will lead to your well-being.

I go to the Buddha for refuge; I go to the Dhamma & Sangha. I take on the precepts: That will lead to my well-being. Before, I was a kinsman to Brahma; now, truly a brahman. I'm a three-knowledge man & safe, consummate in knowledge, washed clean.
Th 13.2 Rohini