Theragatha

the way of the Elders
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Theragatha

Post by DNS » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:33 pm

Even with all the whistles & whistling, the calls of the birds, this, my mind, doesn't waver, for my delight is in oneness.
Th 1.49 Ramaneyyaka

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:34 pm

The earth's sprinkled with rain, wind is blowing, lightning wanders the sky, but my thoughts are stilled, well-centered my mind.
Th 1.50 Vimala

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:24 pm

Who's in the hut? A monk's in the hut free from passion, with well-centered mind. Know this, my friend: The hut you built wasn't wasted.
Th 1.56 Kutiviharin (1)

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:25 pm

This was your old hut, and you aspire to another, new hut. Discard your hope for a hut, monk. A new hut will be painful all over again.[1]
1. Compare Dh 153-154.
Th 1.57 Kutiviharin (2)

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:26 pm

One who sees sees who sees, sees who doesn't. One who doesn't see doesn't see who sees or who doesn't.

Th 1.61 Vappa

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:27 pm

Exalted in mind & heedful: a sage trained in sagacity's ways. He has no sorrows, one who is Such, [1] calmed & ever mindful.
Th 1.68 Ekuddaniya

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:55 pm

Who scatters the troops of the King of Death as a great flood, a very weak bridge made of reeds is victorious, for his fears are dispersed. He's tamed, unbound, steadfast in himself.
Th 1.7 Bhalliya

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:56 pm

On seeing an old person; & a person in pain, diseased; & a person dead, gone to life's end, I left for the life gone forth, abandoning the sensuality that entices the heart.
Th 1.73 Manava

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Good the sight of the well-rectified: Doubt is cut off, intelligence grows. Even fools they make wise so the company of the true is good.
Th 1.75 Susarada

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:58 pm

Asleep the whole night, delighting in company by day: when, when will the fool bring suffering & stress to an end?
Th 1.84 Nita

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:58 pm

Adept in a theme for the mind, sensing the savor of solitude, practicing jhana, masterful, mindful, you'd attain a pleasure not of the flesh.
Th 1.85 Sunaga

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:59 pm

Outside of this path, the path of the many who teach other things doesn't go to Unbinding as does this: Thus the Blessed One instructs the Community, truly showing the palms of his hands.
Th 1.86 Nagita

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:00 pm

Sensual pleasures are stressful, Eraka. Sensual pleasures aren't ease. Whoever loves sensual pleasures loves stress, Eraka. Whoever doesn't, doesn't love stress.

Th 1.93 Eraka

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:01 pm

I'm blind, my eyes are destroyed. I've stumbled on a wilderness track. Even if I must crawl, I'll go on, but not with an evil companion.
Th 1.95 Cakkhupala

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:02 pm

Crimson now, Sir, are the trees of the forest, Having shed their foliage, they're eager to fruit, (Their flowers are) blazing forth like brilliant flames, It is a luscious time of year, Great Hero. The blossoming trees, so pleasing to the mind, Spread their fragrance in every direction, Surrendering their leaves and longing for fruit; The time has come to depart from here, Hero. It is neither too cold, nor again too hot, The season is pleasant, suited for travel. My Lord, let the Sakyas and Koliyas see you Facing westward and crossing the Rohini.
Th 10.1 Kaludayin Thera

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:04 pm

If, in front or behind, there is no one else, it's extremely pleasant for one staying alone in the forest. Come then! Alone I will go to the wilderness praised by the Awakened One pleasant for a resolute monk dwelling alone. Alone, astute in my goal, I'll quickly enter the grove refreshing, giving rapture to meditators the haunt of elephants in rut. When the Cool Forest's in full flower, in a cool mountain gorge, having bathed my limbs I'll walk back & forth. alone. Ah, when will I dwell, alone and free from companions, in the refreshing great forest my task done, fermentation-free? As I desire to do this, may my purpose succeed. I myself will bring it about. No one can do it for anyone else. I myself bind on my armor. I will enter the grove and will not emerge without having attained fermentations' end. While soft breezes blow cool, heavily, fragrantly scented I'll make ignorance burst, as I sit on a mountaintop. In the forest covered with blossoms or perhaps on a cool hillside, blessed with the bliss of release, on Giribbaja I'll delight. I am now he whose resolves are fulfilled like the moon on a full-moon night. With all fermentations totally ended, there is now no further becoming.
Th 10.2 Ekavihariya

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:05 pm

Full of the many clans of impurities, the great manufacturer of excrement, like a stagnant pool, a great tumor, great wound, full of blood & lymph, immersed in a cesspool, trickling liquids, the body is oozing foulness always. Bound together with sixty sinews, plastered with a stucco of muscle, wrapped in a jacket of skin, this foul body is of no worth at all. Linked together with a chain of bones, stitched together with tendon-threads, it produces its various postures, from being hitched up together. Headed surely to death, in the presence of the King of Mortality, the man who learns to discard it right here, goes wherever he wants. Covered with ignorance, the body's tied down with a four-fold tie,[1] sunk in the floods,[2] caught in the net of latencies,[3] conjoined with five hindrances,[4] given over to thought, accompanied with the root of craving, roofed with delusion's roofing. That's how the body functions, compelled by the compulsion of kamma, but its attainment ends in ruin. Its many becomings go to ruin. These who hold to this body as mine blind fools, people run-of-the-mill fill the horrific cemetery, taking on further becoming. Those who stay uninvolved with this body as they would with a serpent smeared with dung disgorging the root of becoming,[5] from lack of effluent, will be totally Unbound.
Notes
1. The four-fold tie: greed, ill will, attachment to precepts & practice, and dogmatic obsession with views.
2. Floods: passion for sensuality, becoming, views, and ignorance.
3. Latencies: pride, ignorance, lust, aversion, uncertainty, delusion, and craving for becoming.
4. Hindrances: sensual desire, ill will, sloth & drowsiness, restlessness & anxiety, and uncertainty.
5. The root of becoming: craving.

Th 10.5 Kappa

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:35 pm

What do you want in the woods, my boy, like a bird[1] exposed to the rain? Monsoons refresh you, for seclusion is for those in jhana. As the monsoon wind drives the clouds in the rainy season, so thoughts concerned with seclusion impel me. * * * A black crow making its home in a charnel ground inspires within me mindfulness in based on dispassion for the body.[2] * * * One whom others don't guard, who doesn't guard others: He is a monk who lies down in ease, unconcerned with sensual passions. * * * With clear waters & massive boulders, frequented by monkeys & deer, covered with moss & water weeds: those rocky crags refresh me. * * * I've lived in wildernesses, canyons, & caves, isolated dwellings frequented by predator & prey, but never have I known an ignoble, aversive resolve: "May these beings be destroyed, be slaughtered, fall into pain." * * * The Teacher has been served by me; the Awakened One's bidding, done; the heavy load, laid down; the guide to becoming,[3] uprooted. And the goal for which I went forth from home life into homelessness I've reached: the end of all fetters. I don't delight in death, don't delight in living. I await my time like a worker his wage. I don't delight in death, don't delight in living. I await my time mindful, alert.
Th 11.1 Sankicca

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:37 pm

In a lowly family I was born, poor, with next to no food. My work was degrading: I gathered the spoiled, the withered flowers from shrines and threw them away. People found me disgusting, despised me, disparaged me. Lowering my heart, I showed reverence to many. Then I saw the One Self-awakened, arrayed with a squadron of monks, the Great Hero, entering the city, supreme, of the Magadhans. Throwing down my carrying pole, I approached him to do reverence. He the supreme man stood still out of sympathy just for me. After paying homage to the feet of the teacher, I stood to one side & requested the Going Forth from him, supreme among all living beings. The compassionate Teacher, sympathetic to all the world, said: "Come, monk." That was my formal Acceptance. Alone, I stayed in the wilds, untiring, I followed the Teacher's words, just as he, the Conqueror, had taught me. In the first watch of the night, I recollected previous lives; in the middle watch, purified the divine eye; in the last, burst the mass of darkness. Then, as night was ending & the sun returning, Indra & Brahma came to pay homage to me, hands palm-to-palm at their hearts: "Homage to you, O thoroughbred of men, Homage to you, O man supreme, whose fermentations are ended. You, dear sir, are worthy of offerings." Seeing me, arrayed with a squadron of devas, the Teacher smiled & said: "Through austerity, celibacy, restraint, & self-control: That's how one is a brahman. He is a brahman supreme."
Th 12.2 Sunita the Outcaste

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:37 pm

Since I went forth from home into homelessness, I haven't known an ignoble, aversive resolve. "May these beings be destroyed, be slaughtered, fall into pain" I've not known this resolve in this long, long time. But I have known good will, unlimited, fully developed, nurtured step after step, as taught by the One Awake: to all, a friend; to all, a comrade; for all beings, sympathetic. And I develop a mind of good will, delighting in non-malevolence always. Unvanquished, unshaken, I gladden the mind. I develop the sublime abiding, not frequented by the lowly. Attaining no-thinking, the disciple of the Rightly Self-awakened One is endowed with noble silence straightaway. As a mountain of rock is unmoving, firmly established, so a monk, with the ending of delusion, like a mountain, doesn't quake. To a person without blemish, constantly in search of what's pure, a hair-tip of evil seems a storm cloud. As a frontier fortress is guarded within & without, you should safeguard yourselves. Don't let the moment pass you by. I don't delight in death, don't delight in living. I await my time like a worker his wage. I don't delight in death, don't delight in living. I await my time mindful, alert. The Teacher has been served by me; the Awakened One's bidding, done; the heavy load, laid down; the guide to becoming, uprooted. And the goal for which I went forth from home life into homelessness I've reached: the end of all fetters. Attain completion through heedfulness: that is my message. So then, I'm about to be Unbound. I'm released everywhere.
Th 14.1 Revata's Farewell