Theragatha

the way of the Elders
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Theragatha

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 9:47 pm

I, a monk, gone to the charnel ground, saw a woman cast away, discarded there in the cemetery. Though some were disgusted, seeing her dead, evil lust appeared, as if I were blind to the oozings. In less time than it takes for rice to cook, I got out of that place. Mindful, alert, I sat down to one side. Then apt attention arose in me, the drawbacks appeared, disenchantment stood at an even keel: With that, my heart was released. See the Dhamma's true rightness! The three knowledges have been attained; the Awakened One's bidding, done.
Th 5.1 Rajadatta

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 9:48 pm

Intent on quibbling, the dullard hears the Conqueror's teaching. He's as far from the True Dhamma as the ground is from the sky. Intent on quibbling, the dullard hears the Conqueror's teaching. He wanes from the True Dhamma, like the moon in the dark half of the month. Intent on quibbling, the dullard hears the Conqueror's teaching. He withers away in the True Dhamma, like a fish in next to no water. Intent on quibbling, the dullard hears the Conqueror's teaching. He doesn't grow in the True Dhamma, like a rotten seed in a field. But whoever hears the Conqueror's teaching with guarded intent, doing away with effluents all realizing the unshakable, attaining the foremost peace, is free from effluent totally unbound.
Th 5.10 Yasadatta

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 9:48 pm

Stricken by sharp, wind-like pains, you, monk, living in the forest grove harsh, with limited range for alms what, what will you do? Suffusing my body with abundant rapture & joy, & enduring what's harsh, I'll stay in the grove. Developing the frames of reference, strengths, faculties, the factors for Awakening, I'll stay in the grove. Reflecting on those who are resolute, their persistence aroused, constantly firm in their effort, united in concord, I'll stay in the grove. Recollecting the One Self-awakened, self-tamed & centered, untiring both day & night, I'll stay in the grove.
Th 5.8 Vakkali

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 9:49 pm

I shall fasten you, mind, like an elephant at a small gate. I shall not incite you to evil, you net of sensual pleasure, body-born.

When fastened, you will not go, like an elephant not finding the gate open. Witch-mind, you will not wander again, and again, using force, delighting in evil.

As the strong hook-holder makes an untamed elephant, newly taken, turn against its will, so shall I make you turn.

As the excellent charioteer, skilled in the taming of excellent horses, tames a thoroughbred, so shall I, standing firm in the five powers, tame you.

I shall bind you with mindfulness; with purified self shall cleanse [you]. Restrained by the yoke of energy you will not go far from here, mind.

Th 5.9 Vijitasena

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 9:49 pm

When I was seven & newly gone forth, having conquered with my power the great powerful serpent, I was fetching water for my preceptor from the great lake, Anotatta,[1] when the Teacher saw me & said: "Look, Sariputta, at that one, the young boy coming there, carrying a pot of water, well-centered within, his practices inspiring; his bearing admirable. He's Anuruddha's novice, mature in his powers, made thoroughbred by a thoroughbred, good by one who is good, tamed by Anuruddha, trained by one whose task is done. He, having reached the highest peace & realized the unshakable, Sumana the novice wants this: 'Don't let anyone know me.'"
Th 6.10 Sumana the Novice

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 9:50 pm

Whence is there anger in one without anger tamed, calmed, living in tune, released through right gnosis, Such? You make things worse when you flare up at someone who's angry. Whoever doesn't flare up at someone who's angry wins a battle hard to win. You live for the good of both your own, the other's when, knowing the other's provoked, you mindfully grow calm. When you work the cure of both your own, the other's those who think you a fool know nothing of Dhamma. If anger arises, reflect on the saw simile. [1] If craving for savor, remember the son's-flesh simile. [2] If your mind runs loose after sensual pleasures & states of becoming, quickly restrain it with mindfulness as you would a bad ox eating grain. [3]
Th 6.12 Brahmadatta

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 9:50 pm

Rain soddens what's covered & doesn't sodden what's exposed. So open up what's covered up, so that it won't get soddened by the rain.

Attacked by death is the world, surrounded by aging, beset by the arrow of craving, always obscured by desire.

Attacked by death is the world, & encircled by aging, constantly beaten, with no shelter, like a thief sentenced to punishment.

They encroach like masses of flame, these three:

death, aging, & illness.

There's no strength to confront them, no speed to run away.

Make the day not-in-vain, a little or a lot. However much the day passes, that's how much less is life.

Your last day approaches. This isn't your time to be heedless.

Th 6.13 Sirimanda Thera

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 9:51 pm

The grain: harvested. The rice: gone to be threshed. But I don't get any alms. How will I get by? Confident, recollect the immeasurable Buddha. Your body pervaded with rapture, you'll be at the height of continual joy. Confident, recollect the immeasurable Dhamma. Your body pervaded with rapture, you'll be at the height of continual joy. Confident, recollect the immeasurable Sangha. Your body pervaded with rapture, you'll be at the height of continual joy. You live in the open air. Cold are these wintry nights. Don't suffer, overcome with the cold. Go into your hut, with its fastened bolt. I'll fasten the four immeasurables. With them, I'll dwell in comfort. I won't suffer from the cold, dwelling unperturbed.
Th 6.2 Tekicchakani

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 9:52 pm

Twenty five years since my going forth, and no peace of awareness not a finger-snap's worth attained. Having gained no oneness of mind, I was wracked with lust. Wailing, with my arms upheld, I ran amok from my dwelling "Or... or shall I take the knife? What's the use of life to me? If I were to renounce the training, what sort of death would I have?" So, taking a razor, I sat down on a bed. And there was the razor, placed ready to cut my own vein, when apt attention arose in me, the drawbacks appeared, disenchantment stood at an even keel: With that, my heart was released. See the Dhamma's true rightness! The three knowledges have been attained; the Awakened One's bidding, done.
Th 6.6 Sappadasa

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 9:52 pm

I was drunk with the intoxication of my birth, wealth, & sovereignty. Drunk with the intoxication of my body's build, coloring, & form, I wandered about, regarding no one as my equal or better, foolish, arrogant, haughty, my banner held high. I disrespectful, arrogant, proud bowed down to no one, not even mother, father, or those commonly held in respect. Then seeing the ultimate leader, supreme, foremost of charioteers, like a blazing sun, arrayed with a squadron of monks casting away pride & intoxication through an awareness serene & clear, I bowed down my head to him, supreme among all living beings. Haughtiness & contempt have been abandoned rooted out the conceit "I am" is extracted, all forms of pride, destroyed.
Th 6.9 Jenta, the Royal Chaplain's Son

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 9:53 pm

Ornamented, finely clothed garlanded, adorned, her feet stained red with lac, she wore slippers: a courtesan. Stepping out of her slippers her hands raised before me, palm-to-palm over her heart she softly, tenderly, in measured words spoke to me first: "You are young, recluse. Heed my message: Partake of human sensuality. I will give you luxury. Truly I vow to you, I will tend to you as to a fire. When we are old, both leaning on canes, then we will both become contemplatives, winning the benefits of both worlds." And seeing her before me a courtesan, ornamented, finely clothed, hands palm-to-palm over her heart like a snare of death laid out, apt attention arose in me, the drawbacks appeared, disenchantment stood at an even keel: With that, my heart was released. See the Dhamma's true rightness! The three knowledges have been attained; the Buddha's bidding, done.
Th 7.1 Sundara Samudda and the Courtesan

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 9:53 pm

One should not do much work One should avoid people, One should not bustle (to obtain gifts). One who is eager and greedy for flavors Misses the goal that entails happiness. They knew as a bog this homage and veneration Obtained among devoted families. A subtle dart, difficult to extract, Honor is hard for a vile man to discard. It is not on account of another That a mortal's kamma is evil. On one's own accord one should not resort to evil, For mortals have kamma as their kinsmen. One is not a thief by another's word, One is not a sage by another's word; It is as one knows oneself That the devas also know one. Others do not understand That we all come to an end here. But those wise ones who understand this Thereby settle their quarrels. The wise man lives indeed Even despite the loss of his wealth. But if one does not obtain wisdom, Then even though rich one is not alive. One hears all with the ear, One sees all with the eye, The wise man should not reject Everything that is seen and heard. One with eyes should be as if blind, One with ears as if deaf, One with wisdom as if mute, One with strength as if feeble. Then, when the goal has been attained, One may lie upon one's death bed.
Th 8.1 Maha Kaccana

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 02, 2018 9:54 pm

When the thundering storm cloud roars out in the mist, And torrents of rain fill the paths of the birds, Nestled in a mountain cave, the monk meditates. No greater contentment than this can be found. When along the rivers the tumbling flowers bloom In winding wreaths adorned with verdant color, Seated on the bank, glad-minded, he meditates. No greater contentment than this can be found. When in the depths of night, in a lonely forest, The rain-deva drizzles and the fanged beasts cry, Nestled in a mountain cave, the monk meditates. No greater contentment than this can be found. When restraining himself and his discursive thoughts, (Dwelling in a hollow in the mountains' midst), Devoid of fear and barrenness, he meditates. No greater contentment than this can be found. When he is happy expunged of stain, waste and grief, Unobstructed, unencumbered, unassailed Having ended all defilements, he meditates. No greater contentment than this can be found.
Th 9 Bhuta Thera