Preparation for Ordination in Theravada

the way of the Elders
Dharmasherab

Preparation for Ordination in Theravada

Post by Dharmasherab » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:57 pm

I am making this thread more on behalf of an online group and its potential members who would be Theravada Buddhists rather than myself.

The questions is how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist in one’s practice prior to ordaining in the Theravada school of Buddhism?

It is about collecting all types of ideas on how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist before making the decision of ordaining as a monastic as well as a lay ordained member in Theravada with a view to making that a lifetime commitment (and not a trial). It is also about how to optimise one’s practice as a Buddhist before making the decision to ordain in Theravada.

I hope to share these ideas with the online group because we are a group looking for all types of advice and suggestions for ordination and the way to prepare for Theravada ordination will be of great benefit. But even otherwise people who are are thinking of ordaining in Theravada in this forum might find the comments helpful.

I am aware there could be Theravada monastics/priests/lay-ordained members who are highly aware of the difference between the lay life and monastic life and I will be very thankful for their advice. I can also appreciate there could be lay Theravada Buddhists who are already optimizing themselves before ordination and I will be thankful for their tips and suggestions too.

Names of books, documents, websites, links to web articles and videos will be highly appreciated (as long as their within the boundaries of ToS).

Thank you.

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Preparation for Ordination in Theravada

Post by DNS » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:13 am

For some of the negative, exposing some issues and putting a reality check on expectations, I recommend Ven. Dhammika's book, The Broken Buddha.

http://www.buddhistische-gesellschaft-b ... dhanew.pdf

I suggest that not to discourage anyone, but just to make sure potential bhikkhus know what they are getting into and don't set themselves up for failure with too high of an expectation or romanticized notion of monasticism that all are so wise and perfect in their practice.