Becoming a Buddhist

the way of the Elders
Nicholas

Becoming a Buddhist

Post by Nicholas » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:00 am

Taking refuge in the Triple Jewel of Buddha, Dharma and Sangha is the minimum to enter and remain on the Buddhist path. Precepts are often added, such as no killing, no stealing etc.

The event can be very simple or ceremonial; also slight differences in the non-Theravadin ways of refuge taking. After the initial event, one should take refuge daily, more than once if possible. Here are the basics:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el282.html
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha

Veer-Zinda

Re: Becoming a Buddhist

Post by Veer-Zinda » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:58 am

I have yet to attend a refuge ceremony, but I took formal refuge privately almost three years ago and I find it beneficial to repeat my refuge vows on a regular basis, but it's about every couple of weeks for me these days, which is a far cry from daily... :oops: I will have to seek some inspiration from my Muslim friends on that front, with praying 5 times a day! It's a work in progress... :meditate:

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:27 am

I took refuge at a Kagyu monastery. I remember being quite excited and pleased about it. As I was doing some prostrations with everyone else, however, I looked over and I saw one of the monks looking at me with this extremely sad smile, like he pitied me. I think I was a little p-ed off about it.

I think I understand that a bit better now.
And nobody in all of Oz. No Wizard that there is or was.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:59 am

For those that don't have easy access to a temple/monastery there is a way to do it online (or if you just want to do it again):

Follow the instructions here:
https://what-buddha-said.net/sangha/Sangha_Entry.htm

And then the monk will put your name on this list:

https://what-buddha-said.net/sangha/Sad ... Sangha.htm

I am number 271 out of over 2100 that have done that online so far.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:43 pm

A little good advice from Mahayana Master Hua on ones attitude in taking refuge:
So, it all depends on your sincerity and concentration. Do not let your mind get distracted; avoid deluded thoughts; and restrain your wild mind. You have to be true and sincere when taking refuge. If you simply go through the motions, you will not get a response.
If your faith is solid and your conduct is pure, then from the time you formally take refuge until you become a Buddha, you will not run into any great difficulties. If your faith is weak and your conduct is impure, then you can forget about becoming a Buddha. You will have a hard time just being a person. Not only laypeople, but even left-home people will fall into the hells if they do not cultivate.
True Meaning of Taking Refuge.pdf
(476.12 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha