Why Buddhism is True by Robert Wright

Mindfulness practice, corporate mindfulness, modern trends, skepticism of rebirth and other religious doctrines, secular expressions and views of Dharma Paths
DNS
Site Admin

Why Buddhism is True by Robert Wright

Post by DNS » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:42 pm

Bestselling author Robert Wright has written a new book, Why Buddhism is true.
Robert Wright, the best-selling author of The Moral Animal and The Evolution of God, has written a new book titled Why Buddhism is True. Don’t be put off by the audacious title, though.

Wright isn’t proselytizing or implying that other religions are false. This is, instead, a light, accessible guide for anyone interested in the practical benefits of meditation. There are no analyses of Buddhist beliefs about reincarnation or supernatural deities; the focus is on what Wright calls Western Buddhism or secular Buddhism, which is less about belief and more about meditation as a therapeutic practice.

By “true” Wright means that Buddhism’s “diagnosis of the human predicament is fundamentally correct, and that its prescription is deeply valid and urgently important.” That diagnosis goes something like this: the human condition is defined by constant and ultimately inexplicable suffering. Meditation isn’t a way out of this suffering. But it helps us transcend it by teaching us to see it clearly for what it is, and by making us more attuned to our emotive impulses and the behaviors they produce.
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... -interview
Looks like it might be a good book.

Nicholas

Re: Why Buddhism is True by Robert Wright

Post by Nicholas » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:16 pm

Theraputic paths using meditation to reduce suffering are available everywhere. In that regard, there is nothing special about Wright's 'Truth'. With this emphasis he could just have easily written Why fill-in-the-blank is True.

The permanent removal of all suffering is the unique offering of the Dhamma. Yet that requires many lifetimes of following the Four Truths. Without confidence in rebirth, kamma & the Path as taught by Buddha, nothing ultimately 'good' will result.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha

Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:33 pm

I tried to read it but unfortunately I got bogged down. Turns out I don't need neuroscience to convince me why Buddhism is "true". I have to do that hard work myself.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Nicholas wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:16 pm
Theraputic paths using meditation to reduce suffering are available everywhere. In that regard, there is nothing special about Wright's 'Truth'. With this emphasis he could just have easily written Why fill-in-the-blank is True.

The permanent removal of all suffering is the unique offering of the Dhamma. Yet that requires many lifetimes of following the Four Truths. Without confidence in rebirth, kamma & the Path as taught by Buddha, nothing ultimately 'good' will result.
:thumbsup:

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:13 pm

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:33 pm
I tried to read it but unfortunately I got bogged down. Turns out I don't need neuroscience to convince me why Buddhism is "true". I have to do that hard work myself.
:D Yeah, me either. I'm not a secular Buddhist so don't need that convincing to practice. However, some do need that convincing, so I suppose some might need this secular packaging and perhaps at some later time, they might delve more into the Buddhist - religion concepts and practices.