YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas

Nicholas

Re: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas

Post by Nicholas » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:07 pm

Harmony between devas & Buddha is not automatic, it depends on the deva. Mara, the Buddhist demonic power & his minions obstruct Buddhas & his teachings to this day. (Devas live much longer lives than we.)

Even in the Hindu tradition there are devas that try to interfere with the meditations & practices of noble aspirants.

For an excellent outline of the many stages of the path, The Way to Buddhahood by Ven. Yin Shun gives the Mahayana view that any and all paths that seek virtue, at least, are part of the buddhadharma:
RESOLVING TO HAVE better future lives and practicing the various
proper methods for rebirth as a human or divine being is the
Buddhist way for lower people. This is also the foundation of the world transcending
Dharma and is thus called the Dharma common to the Five
Vehicles. Even though one is not ultimately seeking human or divine
rewards, these rewards are still required for the practice of the world-transcending
Dharma of the Three Vehicles...

If one’s goal is to be born in the human world or in heaven, one is participating
in the Human Vehicle or the Divine Vehicle. These vehicles are
aspects of the Buddha Dharma that are shared in common with the world’s
religions. Confucianism is similar to the Human Vehicle, while Taoism,
Christianity, and Islam can lead to the Divine Vehicle. Since people can thus
reach the goals of rebirth in the world or in heaven by following the other
religions of the world, one might ask why they should take refuge in the
Three Treasures and practice the Buddha Dharma common to the Five
Vehicles. In fact, the Buddha Dharma does not say that whoever wants to be
born as a human or divine being must take refuge in the Three Treasures and
practice the Buddhist, Human, and Divine Vehicles. Taking refuge in the
Three Treasures and practicing the Dharma common to the Five Vehicles is
more secure than following other religions, however.
[page 49]
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha

tlxxxviii

Re: YHWH, The Divine Council = The Devas

Post by tlxxxviii » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:25 am

Nicholas wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:07 pm
Harmony between devas & Buddha is not automatic, it depends on the deva. Mara, the Buddhist demonic power & his minions obstruct Buddhas & his teachings to this day. (Devas live much longer lives than we.)
Thanks for the book! Queued.

As for the inharmoniousness possible between the Buddha(s) and the devas: true. But I see no scriptural evidence that my own take on YHWH, that of a kind of simmering resentment, is compatible with the dhamma. It lends itself in my thinking to thirst-for-nonbeing.

So I am reminded, of course, of the Brahma-nimantanika Sutta.
"When this was said, I told Mara the Evil One, 'I know you, Evil One. Don't assume, "He doesn't know me." You are Mara, Evil One. And Brahma, and Brahma's assembly, and the attendants of Brahma's assembly have all fallen into your hands. (!!!!!!) They have all fallen into your power. And you think, "This one, too, has come into my hands, has come under my control." But, Evil One, I have neither come into your hands nor have I come under your control.'

Without being rightly self-awakened, Evil One, your contemplatives & brahmans claimed to be rightly self-awakened. I, however, being rightly self-awakened claim to be rightly self-awakened. For when the Tathagata is teaching the Dhamma to his disciples, he is Such. When he is not teaching the Dhamma to his disciples, he is Such. When leading his disciples he is Such. When not leading his disciples he is Such. Why is that? The fermentations that defile, that lead to further becoming, that disturb, that ripen in stress, that tend to future birth, aging, & death: Those the Tathagata has abandoned, their root destroyed, like an uprooted palmyra tree, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising.
I daily aspire to this level of equanimous refusal.