World's first vegetarian city

the way of ahimsa; Digambara and Svetambara
DNS
Site Admin

World's first vegetarian city

Post by DNS » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:17 pm

Found this report linked on DWM:

https://vegannews.co/meat-and-eggs-are- ... rian-city/

The city is an important Jain pilgrimage site and apparently quite a few Jains live there.

I'll try to make it to this city if or when I travel to India again some time in the future.

Nicholas

Re: World's first vegetarian city

Post by Nicholas » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:37 pm

Looks like this is not a brand new law:
In August 2014, the Gujarat government declared Palitana a meat-free zone, banning the sale of meat and eggs, as well as slaughter of animals in the town.
Even though my diet is now pretty much Vegan, it not good for governments to impose dietary laws. The 25% of Muslim meat eaters and the Hindus who sell fish etc are now just going to the black market, I suspect.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:05 am

Correct, apparently there is another city in India with the meat ban.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palitana

I assume it must be another city that is predominantly Jains.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:06 am

Palitana

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:07 am

Palitana temples:

Herb Caplan

Post by Herb Caplan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:06 pm

Nicholas wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:37 pm
Even though my diet is now pretty much Vegan, it not good for governments to impose dietary laws. The 25% of Muslim meat eaters and the Hindus who sell fish etc are now just going to the black market, I suspect.
Admirable view if you take the analogously laissez-faire position on drugs (incl. heroin and fentanyl), gambling, and other victimless crimes.

Cowardly and weak-minded if you don't, especially as a vegan presumably against animal suffering.
If you meet the Buddha (blessed be the arahant) on the road, kill him.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Herb Caplan wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:06 pm
Nicholas wrote:
Admirable view if you take the analogously laissez-faire position on drugs (incl. heroin and fentanyl), gambling, and other victimless crimes.

Cowardly and weak-minded if you don't, especially as a vegan presumably against animal suffering.
I agree drug taking is mostly (in some cases completely) a victimless crime, since the only harm is to the person taking it, who voluntarily does so. However, from a vegan perspective, there is a victim in meat eating. Animals are kept in inhumane conditions and slaughtered. Meat eating produces increased demand for meat and then more animals are sent to the slaughter house. However, due to meat eating being the norm in most nations, it has become somewhat politically incorrect to say that otherwise one gets called a "vegan nazi." :tongue:

Herb Caplan

Post by Herb Caplan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:09 pm

DNS wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:43 pm
Herb Caplan wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:06 pm
Nicholas wrote:

I agree drug taking is mostly (in some cases completely) a victimless crime, since the only harm is to the person taking it, who voluntarily does so. However, from a vegan perspective, there is a victim in meat eating. Animals are kept in inhumane conditions and slaughtered. Meat eating produces increased demand for meat and then more animals are sent to the slaughter house. However, due to meat eating being the norm in most nations, it has become somewhat politically incorrect to say that otherwise one gets called a "vegan nazi." :tongue:
True laissez-faire freedom would include some victimed crimes. For example abortion/infanticide. Keeping slaves. Or killing someone who steals your property. If the rest of the laws are like this, I think it's okay to allow others to kill animals as long as it's on them.

…But being against free market heroin while defending the "liberty" to kill other animals? MAJOR cognitive dissonance.
If you meet the Buddha (blessed be the arahant) on the road, kill him.