Does Buddhism have a well-trained background in Psychology or Psychiatry? ...

A place to compare and contrast Dharmic traditions, debates allowed, but be polite.
TexasBuddhist

Does Buddhism have a well-trained background in Psychology or Psychiatry? ...

Postby TexasBuddhist » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:10 am

Hi,

Wondering if Buddhism has a background in Psychology and Psychiatry. Thanks

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: Does Buddhism have a well-trained background in Psychology or Psychiatry? ...

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:15 am

It would be more like the other way around. The modern disciplines of psychology and psychiatry came much later than Buddhism, therefore one can only ask if psychology and psychiatry have been influenced by Buddhism. Certainly some psychologists and psychiatrists draw on Buddhist principles in helping their clients / patients. Some have prescribed meditation techniques.

TexasBuddhist

Re: Does Buddhism have a well-trained background in Psychology or Psychiatry? ...

Postby TexasBuddhist » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:17 am

Weren't some of the Lamas and RInpoches pyschologically adept? (Or they had training in understanding psychology) ...

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:27 am

There's a lot of cross-over amongst current scholar/practitioners especially those interested in the psychotherapeutic aspects of meditation. Notable names include Jon Kabat-Zinn and Mark Epstein (whose book Thoughts Without a Thinker is sub-titled Psychotherapy from a Buddhist Perspective.)

From a broader point of view, though, abhidharma is really a system of philosophical psychology, which predates Western psychology by millenia. One of the volumes of traditional abhidharma is called 'Types of Persons' which classifies personality types. Many of the traditional abhidharma texts are highly scholastic and formalised, but the point remains that it did really provide a kind of 'depth psychology', based on the analysis of the chain of dependent origination, long before anything comparable in Western cultures that I'm aware of.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:29 am

TexasBuddhist wrote:Weren't some of the Lamas and RInpoches pyschologically adept? (Or they had training in understanding psychology) ...

If you're talking about 20th - 21st century Buddhist teachers, then yes. But when you mentioned "Buddhism" I assumed you were talking about the beginnings of Buddhism back in 6th century BCE.

My favorite teacher, Dr. Madawela Punnaji had extensive studies in Western psychology and medicine before becoming a monk and he frequently utilizes that knowledge in his Dhamma talks.

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:01 am

Buddhism as a Psychotherapy

(Adapted from the transcription of a Dhamma talk)

By Ven. Bhante Punnaji

http://obo.genaud.net/dhammatalk/bd_dha ... unnaji.htm

John Reeves

Postby John Reeves » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:17 am

TexasBuddhist wrote:Hi,

Wondering if Buddhism has a background in Psychology and Psychiatry. Thanks

The reverse is true, most psychiatrists embrace the Buddhas teachings whether they realize this or not.

TexasBuddhist

Postby TexasBuddhist » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:34 pm

It seemed like this was keen on Institutionalization ... They wanted patients under their control, ... So they would institutionalize people in their hospital building.

AlexMcLeod

Postby AlexMcLeod » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:04 pm

Is English your second language? Because most of your posts are incomprehensible. If you are a native speaker, do you meditate in any way? One of the benefits of meditation is that it helps you have more coherent thoughts.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace;
There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge;
There is no Passion, there is Serenity;
There is no Death, there is the Force.

TexasBuddhist

Postby TexasBuddhist » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:18 pm

AlexMcLeod wrote:Is English your second language? Because most of your posts are incomprehensible. If you are a native speaker, do you meditate in any way? One of the benefits of meditation is that it helps you have more coherent thoughts.

Robot Programmed English is my language.

TexasBuddhist

Postby TexasBuddhist » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:25 pm

AlexMcLeod wrote:Is English your second language? Because most of your posts are incomprehensible. If you are a native speaker, do you meditate in any way? One of the benefits of meditation is that it helps you have more coherent thoughts.

Yes, Meditation in the morning and evening.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:04 pm

Didn't somebody describe Buddhism as "the science of the mind"?

TexasBuddhist

Postby TexasBuddhist » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:21 pm

What's the story or what is the deal behind being committed to an hospital institution? don't know.

Iconodule

Postby Iconodule » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:28 pm

I have extensive experience with him on another forum and all I can say is... This is as good as you'll get from him.
The ladder that leads to the Kingdom is hidden within you, and is found in your soul. Dive into yourself, and in your soul you will discover the rungs by which you are to ascend. - St. Isaac of Syria

TexasBuddhist

Postby TexasBuddhist » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:33 pm

If you have keyboard programming, I don't see how you can translate your thoughts to keyboard language.

TexasBuddhist

Postby TexasBuddhist » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:17 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:It would be more like the other way around. The modern disciplines of psychology and psychiatry came much later than Buddhism, therefore one can only ask if psychology and psychiatry have been influenced by Buddhism. Certainly some psychologists and psychiatrists draw on Buddhist principles in helping their clients / patients. Some have prescribed meditation techniques.

I assume most Psychiatrists are behind institutions and hospital buildings. (Yes, the Meditation)

TexasBuddhist

Postby TexasBuddhist » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:11 pm

Meditation does have a lot to do with the thought process and mental processes in the head. I think its process meditation

(May have gone wacko then returned to normal) .... ;spy:

AlexMcLeod

Postby AlexMcLeod » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:43 pm

TexasBuddhist wrote:I assume most Psychiatrists are behind institutions and hospital buildings. (Yes, the Meditation)

I think you're thinking of peeping Toms.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace;
There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge;
There is no Passion, there is Serenity;
There is no Death, there is the Force.

TexasBuddhist

Postby TexasBuddhist » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:50 pm

AlexMcLeod wrote:
TexasBuddhist wrote:I assume most Psychiatrists are behind institutions and hospital buildings. (Yes, the Meditation)

I think you're thinking of peeping Toms.

Do you mean go to the window and see what it is? ... I don't know :sage:

TexasBuddhist

Postby TexasBuddhist » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:19 am

Which is . . .

What is the shape of thought inside the head?

Return to “General Dharma comparisons”