Fibonacci sequence

A place to compare and contrast Dharmic traditions, debates allowed, but be polite.
DNS
Site Admin

Fibonacci sequence

Post by DNS » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:06 pm

I heard someone the other day saying that the Fibonacci sequence is proof of God.
Liber Abaci posed, and solved, a problem involving the growth of a population of rabbits based on idealized assumptions. The solution, generation by generation, was a sequence of numbers later known as Fibonacci numbers. Although Fibonacci's Liber Abaci contains the earliest known description of the sequence outside of India, the sequence had been noted by Indian mathematicians as early as the sixth century.[19][20][21][22]

In the Fibonacci sequence of numbers, each number is the sum of the previous two numbers. Fibonacci began the sequence not with 0, 1, 1, 2, as modern mathematicians do but with 1,1, 2, etc. He carried the calculation up to the thirteenth place (fourteenth in modern counting), that is 233, though another manuscript carries it to the next place: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377.[23][24] Fibonacci did not speak about the golden ratio as the limit of the ratio of consecutive numbers in this sequence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci
In mathematics, the Fibonacci numbers are the numbers in the following integer sequence, called the Fibonacci sequence, and characterized by the fact that every number after the first two is the sum of the two preceding ones:[1][2]

1 , 1 , 2 , 3 , 5 , 8 , 13 , 21 , 34 , 55 , 89 , 144 , …

Often, especially in modern usage, the sequence is extended by one more initial term:

0 , 1 , 1 , 2 , 3 , 5 , 8 , 13 , 21 , 34 , 55 , 89 , 144 , …

The Fibonacci spiral: an approximation of the golden spiral created by drawing circular arcs connecting the opposite corners of squares in the Fibonacci tiling;[4] this one uses squares of sizes 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13 and 21.

By definition, the first two numbers in the Fibonacci sequence are either 1 and 1, or 0 and 1, depending on the chosen starting point of the sequence, and each subsequent number is the sum of the previous two.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number
Basically it is argued that these number sequences can be found in nature. But I think that just shows some natural patterns already noted in nature and then put in mathematical formula.

Here's a good answer I found in a google search:
Now that it is demystified, does it provide evidence for God, the answer is no. Here is why:
1.Mathematics is merely a set of rules to be used as an analogy for reality. These rules have logical consequences, including patterns like the Fibonacci sequence. Because these rules were meant to mirror reality in the first place, it's no surprise that a consequence of the rules would be reflected in reality. This may be hard to grasp, but here is an analogy.

Latin was created as a communication method meant to represent reality on some level or another. The word "necabantur" means "they were killed" in Latin. And since murders do occur, it surely must mean that this coincidence, between Latin and reality, can't be coincidence. There must be a higher power involved!

This is why I don't think that the Fibonacci sequence proves that there is a God or divine creator.
https://www.quora.com/How-can-the-exist ... i-sequence
What do you think?

Dorje Shedrub

Re: Fibonacci sequence

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:01 pm

I post this video to show the Fibonacci sequences in nature that were referenced above. Though the video concludes that this is evidence of a creator, I would say that it is evidence of the mathematical aspect of nature.

DS

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:08 pm

Mathematics is not my forte, but it is interesting, so I post this TED talk about Fibonacci numbers squared and the mention of the golden ratio. DS

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:40 pm

Not evidence, much less proof of a single Creator. Yet there is too much intelligent order in universal Nature to ignore it as just a superimposition by smart-ass humans.

So I will go with a blend of gods & karma being the reasonable basis for it all. Karma is intent or will, thus one needs an intentional being to act & be acted upon.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:03 am

Nicholas wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:40 pm
Not evidence, much less proof of a single Creator. Yet there is too much intelligent order in universal Nature to ignore it as just a superimposition by smart-ass humans.

So I will go with a blend of gods & karma being the reasonable basis for it all. Karma is intent or will, thus one needs an intentional being to act & be acted upon.
Yes, I think so too. It doesn't prove a creator-god, but it might provide some support that there is some "orderliness" to the universe; which need not be a creator, but could be karma.