WET

A place to compare and contrast Dharmic traditions, debates allowed, but be polite.
desertdweller

WET

Post by desertdweller » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:47 am

Greetings,
I was just wondering if there were any like-minded souls here who, along with Buddhadharma, are "into" (to whatever degree) the WET, including but not limited to Hermeticism, Alchemy, Kabbalah/Qabbalah, Tarot, Grimoires, Eliphas Levi, Crowley/Thelema, the Golden Dawn, Enochiana and other such things? I personally lean more towards the Renaissance side of things (Agrippa, Paracelsus, Ficino) and traditional Lurianic Kabbalah, but I'm also (albeit reluctantly) sort of fascinated by Crowley and Kenneth Grant.

Not really interested in "comparisons" of different traditions, but curious rather how people synthesize their various influences in their daily lives. I tend to feel the Mahayana metaphysic is essentially the purest expression of "Truth" possible, so I generally approach other traditions from this perspective, even if my practice is somewhat syncretistic.
:namaste:

Nicholas

Re: Western Esoteric Tradition

Post by Nicholas » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:36 am

Not me.

Alchemical-magical paths, even with an selfless, altruistic bodhicitta motivation, tend toward mixing lower elemental energies with the pure aspects of our highest consciousness or 'buddha-nature'. That leads, over several lifetimes, to a needless conflict within our psyche. With the exception of a tiny few like Iamblichus, the rest of us will probably end up sorcerers.

Thus sayeth Blavatsky & Judge, among others.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha

desertdweller

Re: WET

Post by desertdweller » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:33 am

Thanks. But I wasn't looking for sermons from people who don't approve, but for responses from people who genuinely share these interests. If no such responses are forthcoming, then it will be clear I'm barking up the wrong tree here. At any rate "alchemical-magical paths" is a MUCH larger topic than can be brushed away with a mere flick of the wrist. For instance, I consider Vajrayana to be an "alchemical-magical" path, so obviously your assumptions about what such paths are do not correlate with mine. And Blavatsky and Judge are no authorities with me. :namaste:

Anyone else?