Yogananda on Christ's teachings

Nicholas

Yogananda on Christ's teachings

Post by Nicholas » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:22 pm

This famous Swami was a non-sectarian mystic who valued all seekers of the Divine. Here is a site that gives some of his insights into the teachings of Christ as found in the four Gospels:

http://yogananda.com.au/sc/new_testament_00.html#top
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha

Nicholas

Re: Yogananda on Christ's teachings

Post by Nicholas » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:36 pm

With his spiritual eye Yogananda saw & communed with Christ many times. He wrote that H. Hofmann's painting came closest to what Jesus looks like. Here is the painting and an article about the devotee of Jesus, Hofmann:

https://yoganandasite.wordpress.com/201 ... -excerpts/

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:31 am

To understand the magnitude of a divine incarnation, it is necessary
to understand the source and nature of the consciousness that is incarnate
in the avatar. Jesus spoke of this consciousness when he proclaimed:
"I and my Father are one" (John 10:30) and "I am in the Father, and the Father
in me" (John 14:11 ). Those who unite their consciousness
to God know both the transcendent and the immanent nature
of Spirit—the singularity of the ever-existing, ever-conscious, evernew
Bliss of the Uncreate Absolute, and the myriad manifestations of
His Being as the infinitude of forms into which He variegates Himself
in the panorama of creation.
Vol. 1:6

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:43 pm

In the New Testament, the curtain of silence comes down again on
the life of Jesus after his twelfth year, not to rise once more until
eighteen years later, at which time he receives baptism from John and
begins preaching to the multitude. We are told only:

And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man. Luke 2:52

For the contemporaries of such an extraordinary figure to find
nothing noteworthy to record from his childhood to his thirtieth year
is in and of itself extraordinary.

Remarkable accounts, however, do exist, not in the land of Jesus'
birth but farther east where he spent most of the unaccounted-for
years. Hidden away in a Tibetan monastery priceless records lie. They
speak of a Saint Issa from Israel "in whom was manifest the soul of
the universe"; who from the age of fourteen to twenty-eight was in India
and regions of the Himalayas among the saints, monks, and pundits;
who preached his message throughout that area and then returned
to teach in his native land, where he was treated vilely,
condemned, and put to death. Except as chronicled in these ancient
manuscripts, no other history of the unknown years of Jesus' life has
ever been published.
Second Coming 1:80

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:26 am

The bible is like the lotus sutra that it is most difficult to understand because the allegory acts as a psychological mirror. It appeals and repels people based on their perspectives.

This analog continues to attenuate.

For example, look at the segment of Catholics that reject Catholicism for Buddhism and then look at there they deviate to.

What seems to be common is a division between rebirth practices that exploit those who where attracted to the rituals of Catholicism but not the doctrine and emptiness doctrines that resonate with those who deviated due to non belief because deny Gnostic belief outright.

This is skillful means, this is expedient means and this also is how genes express in their environment on earth. Relative to the environment. When it comes to the physical world our genes express based on it, when it comes to the world of the mind our actions are reflections of desire.

Christ is equanimity, loving kindness and compassion personified. These traits are not subjective or variable in their state based on source of inspiration.

The bible points to buddha and makes clear it is a vehicle for those who would seek the realm of selflessness for the sake of salvation because they lack the capacity for anything else.

I can explain if desired.

It would seems that some traditions of buddhism recognize the same dynamic.
The Great Teacher Dengyō, explaining the lotus of the “one great reason” [why the Buddhas appear in the world], writes: “The ‘one great matter,’ the heart and core of the Lotus Sutra, is the revelation of the lotus. The word ‘one’ signifies that it is the one reality. The word ‘great’ signifies that it is broad and all-encompassing in nature. And the word ‘matter’ refers to the working of the essential nature of phenomena. This one great reason or ‘ultimate matter’ is the truth or the teaching, the wisdom, and the practice of the perfect teaching, or the Dharma body, the wisdom, and the emancipation of the perfect teaching. Through this, the persons of the one vehicle, those of the three vehicles, those of the determinate groups, those of the indeterminate group, those who believe in Buddhist teachings, those who believe in non-Buddhist teachings, those who have no desire to become Buddhas, and those who are unable to believe in the correct teachings—all of these beings, every one of them, are brought to the realm of the wisdom penetrating all phenomena. Thus, this ‘one great reason’ opens the door of Buddha wisdom to all beings, shows it, causes them to awaken to it, and induces them to enter into it, and all of them attain Buddhahood.”
Maybe the easiest way to say it is that from a perspective of perfect equanimity belief does not divide or define us except in the mind of those who believe so.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:00 am

Divine intercession to mitigate the cosmic law of cause and effect,
by which a man suffers from his errors, was at the heart of the mission
of love Jesus came to fulfill. Moses brought the law from God to man,
emphasizing the awful justice that befalls willful heedlessness. Jesus came
to demonstrate the forgiveness and compassion of God, whose love is a
shelter even from exacting law.

Similarly, Jesus was preceded by Gautama Buddha,
the "Enlightened One," whose incarnation reminded a forgetful
generation of the Dharma Chakra, the ever-rotating wheel of karma
—self-initiated action and its effects which make each man, and not a
Cosmic Dictator, responsible for his own present condition. Buddha
brought heart back into the arid theology and mechanical rituals into
which the ancient Vedic religion of India had fallen after the passing of
a higher age in which Bhagavan Krishna, India's most beloved of avatars,
preached the way of divine love and God-realization through the practice
of the supreme spiritual science of yoga, union with God.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life
for his friends." [John 15:13] Such was the exceptional mission shouldered by
Jesus. Intercession by intimates of God is the palliative elixir that gives
a weakened mortal the necessary strength to rise and conquer the
forces of cosmic law he has roused against himself by disobedient behavior.
The interceder stands with the devotee, offering him defense in
the form of impermeable wisdom, and sometimes deflecting onto himself
a portion of a devastating onslaught.
Volume 1:5

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:26 am

Thank You. It is so very meaningful to me.

I realized this on the deepest level some time ago. I took refuge in them. I realized it so deeply the love compassion and equanimity are part of me.

That christ conscious was krishna conscious, that they came from the same source, that the teachings where to build loving kindness, compassion and equanimity in preparation of realizing the sutra so might actually realize liberation in this lifetime.

This relationship was forged as a child and was my refuge from lifetimes of suffering. Suffering was so prevalent my only wish as a child was to salvage my life by preventing the same suffering in someone else.

I couldn't fathom it not existing for me because everything had been so burned into my psyche there was simply nothing else.

I remember being released in loving kindness when I said I wanted to emancipate all beings as they where because there suffering had become mine. I was given the gift of love, compassion and equanimity but I wasn't relieved of suffering.

Not mine, not all sentient beings but I finally was prepared to search for this answer and this is when I came across the lotus sutra.

I know this to be the transcendental power of buddha all along.

Are the gods real? as real as they have been realized.

I am far from perfect but I sacrificed countless lifetimes just to be in service of selfless humanitarian compassion and I truly believe this has been the golden road all along.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Here is how Yogananda's Introduction to The Second Coming of Christ begins:
In titling this work The Second Coming of Christ, I am not referring
to a literal return of Jesus to earth. He came two thousand years ago
and, after imparting a universal path to God's kingdom, was crucified
and resurrected; his reappearance to the masses now is not necessary for
the fulfillment of his teachings. What is necessary is for the cosmic wisdom
and divine perception of Jesus to speak again through each one's
own experience and understanding of the infinite Christ Consciousness
that was incarnate in Jesus. That will be his true Second Coming.

There is a distinguishing difference of meaning between Jesus and
Christ. His given name was Jesus; his honorific title was "Christ." In
his little human body called Jesus was born the vast Christ
Consciousness, the omniscient Intelligence of God omnipresent in every
part and particle of creation. This Consciousness is the "only begotten Son
of God," so designated because it is the sole perfect reflection
in creation of the Transcendental Absolute, Spirit or God the Father.

It was of that Infinite Consciousness, replete with the love and
bliss of God, that Saint John spoke when he said: "As many as received
him [the Christ Consciousness], to them gave he power to become
the sons of God." Thus according to Jesus' own teaching as
recorded by his most highly advanced apostle, John, all souls who become
united with Christ Consciousness by intuitive Self-realization*
are rightly called sons of God.
#############################

* "Self" is capitalized to denote the soul, man's true identity, in contradistinction to the
ego or pseudosoul, the lower self with which man temporarily identifies through ignorance
of his real nature.
Self-realization is the knowing—in body, mind, and soul—that we are one with
the omnipresence of God; that we do not have to pray that it come to us, that we are
not merely near it at all times, but that God's omnipresence is our omnipresence; that
we are just as much a part of Him now as we ever will be. All we have to do is improve our knowing.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:29 pm

My experience transcend that but let me quickly explain.

As a child my understanding of christ was that it was pure unconditional love. I identified deeply with that as what it should be. It was my refuge during abuse. Later in childhood (8 ish) a couple I met once and never again saw me and knew I was lost and trouble althoguh I did not know at the time.

They asked if I wanted to know christ, indeed I said and they had me speak to someone on the phone of authority who had me say a prayer. I felt a warmth in my heart and shortly after I left. I never saw them again.

I always considered it the setting of the compass of my heart, a subliminal sowing of a seed that would set my conscious to pure loving equanimity. It was not boundless although it lacked self. That was why it was not boundless. My own welfare was absent, I really didn't understand such a thing.

I lived accordingly going against the grain often in refusal of seeing it denied and often through the words/actions of those who practiced the abrahamic religions.

When I had children and I needed to decide if I would raise them on what I believed but never studied and was an ancestral religion I decided to read the bible because it seemed christans where so deluded I could debunk them with their own book and adopt an open ended spirituality.

Long story short reading it revealed a totally different impression. I decided that the walk I had been on with god was the one revealed to paul. It was still very sublime I eventually became reborn when I realized that compassion of christ in deep long suffering except I was reborn to realize the teachings were a filter create a realm of the mind where good and evil could be illustrated and conquered and that all beings where meant to be saved and that both paths led to god.

The division was an illusion all along and it is stated in scripture, not hard to see. Almost impossible to realize because if your mind and heart aren't rooted in perfected equanimity you can't fathom it.

This is when I discovered the lotus sutra and saw even the bible pointed to it.

I never believed that our combination of body/conscious was anything but temporal interaction and never had a design to seek what I understand. I eventually found the both speak from a point of consciousness the point of which is under contention between buddhist and christians, hindu ect.

Thankfully I don't invest mind in contentions I observe around them.

Eventually I came to understand buddhism in the same manner and one of the ways I knew it was I had realized and taken possession of the god realm and transcended it in search of greater equanimity for all, that is a teaching that did not discriminate. It did not change the wellspring of loving equanimity in my heart.

When I came to understand the true meaning of boundless emptiness because I had been contained to the god realm I realized the same compassionate equanimity remains but there is no belief to held to maintain them.

I also came to realize that the one conscious that all rises and falls to of the yuga is seen both in brahman and buddhist context correctly because the essence of shakyamuni's enlightenment is that a feature of that consciousness is to become self aware and it does so through realms via life. It contains its own cause. It is part of the fabric of conscious that is why we all have the same potential to achieve buddhahood.

I would realize all conscious life is self aware for this purpose. To achieve the highest capacity of the realms we are capable of realizing and to assist all others in the same because our ability to manifest them as a shared phenomenon relies on it.

That the very refuge I sought all along was the pure equitable empty and boundless conscious from which everything in the universe of my mind arose which was not absent of loving kindness but was realized because of it, even if it was simply my own.

That one conscious and the ability for it to be recognized the cause for buddhism

https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/47
The Great Teacher Dengyō, explaining the lotus of the “one great reason” [why the Buddhas appear in the world], writes: “The ‘one great matter,’ the heart and core of the Lotus Sutra, is the revelation of the lotus. The word ‘one’ signifies that it is the one reality. The word ‘great’ signifies that it is broad and all-encompassing in nature. And the word ‘matter’ refers to the working of the essential nature of phenomena. This one great reason or ‘ultimate matter’ is the truth or the teaching, the wisdom, and the practice of the perfect teaching, or the Dharma body, the wisdom, and the emancipation of the perfect teaching. Through this, the persons of the one vehicle, those of the three vehicles, those of the determinate groups, those of the indeterminate group, those who believe in Buddhist teachings, those who believe in non-Buddhist teachings, those who have no desire to become Buddhas, and those who are unable to believe in the correct teachings—all of these beings, every one of them, are brought to the realm of the wisdom penetrating all phenomena. Thus, this ‘one great reason’ opens the door of Buddha wisdom to all beings, shows it, causes them to awaken to it, and induces them to enter into it, and all of them attain Buddhahood.”44