Christian Love

Nicholas

Christian Love

Post by Nicholas » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:03 pm

An article on the losing of wholehearted love amongst we sparks of the Divine and the lesser known effects of such:

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2017/02/18474/
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- Buddha

Nicholas

Re: Christian Love

Post by Nicholas » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Famous verses on charity or love:
1 Corinthians 13 English Standard Version (ESV)

The Way of Love

13 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
Verse 12 does not mean the mirror is dirty or fogged, but 'we see a mirrored image' - that is, indirectly.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:07 am

Four Hundred Texts on Love - First Century

1. Love is a holy state of the soul, disposing it to value knowledge of God above all created things. We cannot attain lasting possession of such love while we are still attached to anything worldly.
2. Dispassion engenders love, hope in God engenders dispassion, and patience and forbearance engender hope in God; these in turn are the product of complete self-control, which itself springs from fear of God. Fear of God is the result of faith in God.
3. If you have faith in the Lord you will fear punishment, and this fear will lead you to control the passions. Once you control the passions you will accept affliction patiently, and through such acceptance you will acquire hope in God. Hope in God separates the intellect from every worldly attachment, and when the intellect is detached in this way it will acquire love for God.
St Maximos the Confessor

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:42 pm

10. When in the intensity of its love for God the intellect goes out of itself, then it has no sense of itself or of any created thing. For when it is illumined by the infinite light of God, it becomes insensible to everything made by Him, just as the eye becomes insensible to the stars when the sun rises.
11. All the virtues co-operate with the intellect to produce this intense longing for God, pure prayer above all. For by soaring towards God through this prayer the intellect rises above the realm of created beings.
St. Maximos

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:16 pm

Agape
Agape (Ancient Greek ἀγάπη, agapē) is a Greco-Christian term referring to love, "the highest form of love, charity" and "the love of God for man and of man for God".[1] The word is not to be confused with philia, brotherly love, or philautia, self-love, as it embraces a universal, unconditional love that transcends and persists regardless of circumstance. It goes beyond just the emotions to the extent of seeking the best for others. The noun form first occurs in the Septuagint, but the verb form goes as far back as Homer, translated literally as affection, as in "greet with affection" and "show affection for the dead".[2] Other ancient authors have used forms of the word to denote love of a spouse or family, or affection for a particular activity, in contrast to eros (an affection of a sexual nature).

Within Christianity, agape is considered to be the love originating from God or Christ for humankind [3] In the New Testament, it refers to the covenant love of God for humans, as well as the human reciprocal love for God; the term necessarily extends to the love of one's fellow man.[4] Some contemporary writers have sought to extend the use of agape into non-religious contexts.[5][6]

The concept of agape has been widely examined within its Christian context.[7] It has also been considered in the contexts of other religions,[8] religious ethics,[9] and science.[10
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agape

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:17 pm

Ven Dhammika mentions agape in his Metta article:
Mettà is equivalent to maitrã in Jainism and Hinduism, agape in Christianity and Greek philosophy and gen ai in the teaching of the Chinese sage Motzu.
http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=258

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:37 pm

True unconditional humanitarian love is rooted in the state of undefiled sentient consciousness. The belief systems that gave rise to developing that love are cultural tools for developing bodhicitta among the masses who have not cultivated merit to do so outside impetus of belief.

This is why the lotus sutra says the following. Here the buddha is speaking to the pervasiveness of buddha nature. Much like the 'holy spirit' it describes the laws that govern conscious much like gravity governs mass in the physical universe.
I cause the Dharma rain on all equally,
never lax or neglectful.
When all the various living beings
hear my Law,
they receive it according to their power,
dwelling in their different environments.
Some inhabit the realm of human and heavenly beings,
of wheel-turning sage kings,
Shakra, Brahma ane the other kings
As cultural paradigms shift and blend this is should challenge people to explore the hearts and minds of others. Are they really that different? I found under the name of Abraham Christian, Jew and Muslim alike delight in the name of god especially the most Orthodox. None would dare argue there is but this one god.

This is what is on their heart when one speaks to it in the name of their belief system. Past names the love they seek to cherish and preserve is the same.

This dynamic is a constant regardless where in the developmental latter a society resides. The problem with belief is it is rooted to existence and thus anchors to ego and form so it doesn't scale past the dynamics it is developed within. Works great for everyone it appeals to. Too well sometimes.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:41 pm

St Maximos does not always use agape, in one of those quotes (I forget which) he uses eros.